The family head, Yowas Hyuha, says that the former headmaster of Bugisa primary school, Moses Hirya, together with the then Board Chairperson, Rev. Anania Higenyi approached them in 2017 asking for two acres of land to host the classroom blocks and promised to compensate them Shillings12.25 million.
According to witnesses, several people including builders, drivers, food vendors and bystanders are all trapped inside the building. Several people rushed with all kinds of tools including axes, hoes and hammers to try and rescue the victims trapped under the rubble.
“It is unfortunate, this information reached to us late as security we did what we can at that moment. Good enough those women were released by the warriors alive, thanks to God,” said Longole in a statement on Saturday night. He called on the community to be vigilant by reporting such incidents or any crime immediately to security agencies.
Jasper Abura, the Lira City Education Officer, says that the inspection report shows that most schools are keeping the learning materials instead of distributing it to their learners. He attributes this to the fact that the learning materials were delivered at the time when some of the schools were already closed.
Under a common agreement, UCDA supports nursery bed operators with extension services and in turn, buys the seedlings. The operators allege that they have been paying non-receipted Shillings 30,000 whenever their gardens had to be inspected for prospective supply or need to renew operation certificates.
Elvis Ssekyanzi, the proprietor of Silk events, one of the biggest events service providers in the country, says that prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, he would get at least 15 books in a month. He, however, says that his sound equipment, tents and chairs are gathering dust in the store because of the suspension of major gatherings.
In April this year, Busia district authorities flagged off the construction works at both facilities after receiving Shillings 3.4 billion from the World Bank through the Health Ministry for the improvement of maternal and child health care services.
Peter Wamboyo, another farmer, says that the government would have given them a platform to decide on what they want instead of giving them inputs, which are not helpful to them. He says that they would have given them animals to rear instead of plantlets.
Edward Musaazi, a resident of Kiwatule and neighbour to the former Disney site, says that the park started operating around 2019. He says that it stopped operating when the government announced a nationwide shutdown to contain the COVID-19 pandemic.
Remigiyo Wabwire, one of the residents in Bukalikha village affected by the road works, says that they were surprised to see the district councillor mobilizing them to protest the road works, which left them without any other option but to attack him for fighting the development of their area.
Alinatwe says that they were shocked last month, when they turned up in High court, presided over by Justice Jesse Byaruhanga only to hear that Murungi had withdrawn the petition without even consulting them.