Hearing of the matter had been scheduled to resume on Monday, February 18, after two weeks of delay on the request by the Prosecution for more time to adequately prepare their opening statement. The Court was also expected to hear an application for bail submitted by Kwoyelos lawyers.
Court in Gulu district on Friday afternoon granted bail to John Bosco Uhuru, the Social Media activist arrested in connection with the Apaa Land violence demonstration held in Gulu Town early this week.
The motion filed by the Defense of Dominic Ongwen on February 1St implicates the Prosecution and Trial Chamber II of the Court for irregularly confirming 70 charges and Six modes of liability of war crimes, crimes against humanity and sexual crimes against Dominic Ongwen.
On Monday, a panel of three judges of the International Criminal Court approved the implementation of the six projects saying their execution will have no bearing on the ongoing trial of former LRA Commander Dominic Ongwen. It is unclear how much the projects will cost the Trust Funds for Victims to implement.
Her worship Harriet Ssali Nalukwago, the Deputy Registrar of the International Crimes Division of the High Court says prosecution sought more time to adequately prepare its case as they embark on the full trial. She says the judges have now set February 18th as the day the first prosecution witness will start testifying against Kwoyelo in a trial expected to last two years.
Maria Mabinty Kamara, the Head of ICC Uganda Field Outreach office says the judges of Trial Chamber IX made the adjustment on Friday. She said the conditions under which the judges adjusted the court calendar have not been made public.
Kyadondo East Member of Parliament Robert Kyagulanyi alias Bobi Wine is demanding for his wedding ring, two vehicles, a Toyota Tundra registration number UAW 207 A and A Land Cruiser UAT-416 A, USD 600 2.2 million Shillings, local currency amounting to 3.5 million Shillings, and one mobile phone, an iPhone-8 series.
The case stems from the arrest of supporters of people power, a pressure group led by Kyagulanyi following the chaos that dominated the last day of campaigns ahead of the Arua Municipality by-election in August 2018.
The warning follows an announcement by The Independent National Electoral Commission CENI on Thursday that it was unable to organize the vote on time, and that the poll would now take place around seven days later. The country should have gone to presidential, Parliamentary and Provincial polls on Sunday December 23rd.
This morning, State Prosecutor Paul Weponde asked the court for more time to conduct further investigations into the matter. The request was made in the presence of some of the suspects who had appeared before Magistrate Isaac Kintu for the mention of the case.
Prosecution trial lawyer Adesola Adeboyejo says they are critically following the evidence already shared by the twelve defense witnesses who testified between October 1 and November 23. She says of deep interests to prosecution is the evidence of the first Defense witness Rwot Yusuf Adek Okwonga.
Charles Dalton Opwonya, another lawyer on state brief asked court to adjourn the hearing over the absence of Gilbert Olanya, a key contact in the bail application. It is still unclear if MP Olanya will be presented as a surety of Kwoyelo.
Kwoyelo denied all the 93 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity brought against him by the state. He was formally charged under the penal code act and the international customary law of the domesticated Geneva Convention.
The handwritten material was presented in an exercise book which Kwoyelo handed to his defense lawyers Caleb Alaka, Charles Dalton Opwonya and Evans Ochieng. He took moments within the courtroom to run through the writings with the lawyers, who jointly converged at the accused stand just before court resumed in the afternoon.
Kwoyelo was on Monday formally charged by the International Crimes Division of the High Court for 93 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity he is alleged to have committed during the conflict in Northern Uganda.
The victims say they do not view the on-going trial of Dominic Ongwen and Thomas Kwoyelo the two former commanders of the Lords Resistance Army commanders as an end in dealing with past legacies of the two decades of conflict in the region.
Solomy Awidi, a Transitional Lawyer at Refugee Law Project, says the victims shared their frustration with the trials during a documentation exercise to trace the various perspectives of communities affected by the conflict in the greater Northern Uganda held in Dzaipi and Arinyapi sub counties in Adjumani district last week.
Rehema Nassuna, the Communications Officer of the International Crimes Division of the High Court, says resumption of the trial was postponed to November 12th in Gulu to give way for the bail application hearing on Tuesday.