The youthful male suspects are reported to be part of the youth gangs who are alleged to have broken into 21 shops and an office in Owino market and Kitgum Main Bus park respectively. The thugs made off with several items valued in millions of shillings during the break-in.
According to Komakech, the arrest follows reports from the local community members after observing the duo selling fresh fish in the villages before alerting the authorities who swung into action and arrested them.
Kitgum Resident district Commissioner, William Komakech, says the move follows reports that some cargo trucks and pickups have evolved into passenger service vehicles. While announcing the second lockdown, president, Yoweri Kaguta Museveni banned both private and public transport with the exception of cargo trucks and pickups.
The conflict started after authorities in Mucwini Sub County reportedly set up a security checkpoint along the Kitgum-South Sudan highway at Ayoma village which is located in Pamolo Parish, Labongo Layamo Sub County.
The suspect identified as Joan Oyella, a resident of Ayull Cell in Pager division, Kitgum Municipality is reported to have committed the crime while working as a housemaid for a South Sudan government dignitary in Juba.
Maj Flavia Terimulungi, the 5th Infantry Division Spokesperson however told Uganda Radio Network in an interview that the suspects couldn’t appear in court last week because they were still undergoing investigation.
According to Okeny, on May 1, Odiya who is attached to Namukora Police Station together with some sub-county officials stormed his home to arrest him. Okeny explains that when he resisted, officers beat him and later bundled him into a vehicle and abandoned him at Namukora Health Centre IV.
According to Komakech, their vehicles which include, the crane mounted truck registration numbers UAF 422B and another trailer registration number UBB 826X / UAL 210X have since been impounded while three other suspects, whom he declined to name are now held in police custody.
William Komakech, the Kitgum Resident District Commissioner told Uganda Radio Network-URN in an earlier interview that the suspects will be handed over to South Sudan authorities upon the completition of their investigations. According to Komakech, the handover of the suspects is a good gesture towards promoting peace among the two countries and people occupying the international boundaries.
The equipment worth over 32,000 US dollars that were stolen includes 23 gate valves, 18 adapters flanges, 6 T-flanges and 8 taper flanges while 9 manhole inspection covers have since been vandalized by yet unknown people.
The Aswa River Region police Spokesperson Patrick Jimmy Okema confirmed that the cameras have not been working due to missing configuration of its signals from the antennas that subsequently is sent to the system’s control rooms.
Fifth Infantry Division Commander Brig William Bainomugisha says the frequent incursion of bandits from South Sudan into Uganda is a result of a large number of illegal guns in the hands of locals following the long civil unrest.
The Deputy Director of Criminal Investigations Directorate, Francis Olugu told Uganda Radio Network in an interview that the claims that Gen Lokech was behind Otto’s arrest are false. Olugu notes that the cases against Otto occurred between 2018 and 2019 before Gen Lokech joined the Uganda Police Force.
The suspect identified as Raymond Akena reportedly killed the baby during a fight with his ex-wife Vicky Akanyo from her home, in Kaolo Cell, Namokora Sub-county, where she had married another man. Akena is said to have hit the boy’s head on the ground on Sunday morning.
Without mentioning names, Lokech castigated the alleged involvement of some RDCs, DPCs and politicians who were using their positions to exploit and abate illegal logging of endangered tree species in the Acholi Sub region without recognizing the diverse impacts of environmental degradation.