Hearing of the matter had been scheduled to resume on Monday, February 18, after two weeks of delay on the request by the Prosecution for more time to adequately prepare their opening statement. The Court was also expected to hear an application for bail submitted by Kwoyelos lawyers.
Her worship Harriet Ssali Nalukwago, the Deputy Registrar of the International Crimes Division of the High Court says prosecution sought more time to adequately prepare its case as they embark on the full trial. She says the judges have now set February 18th as the day the first prosecution witness will start testifying against Kwoyelo in a trial expected to last two years.
Charles Dalton Opwonya, another lawyer on state brief asked court to adjourn the hearing over the absence of Gilbert Olanya, a key contact in the bail application. It is still unclear if MP Olanya will be presented as a surety of Kwoyelo.
Kwoyelo denied all the 93 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity brought against him by the state. He was formally charged under the penal code act and the international customary law of the domesticated Geneva Convention.
The handwritten material was presented in an exercise book which Kwoyelo handed to his defense lawyers Caleb Alaka, Charles Dalton Opwonya and Evans Ochieng. He took moments within the courtroom to run through the writings with the lawyers, who jointly converged at the accused stand just before court resumed in the afternoon.
Court adjourned the matter after Kwoyelo, the former commander of operations who was also in charge of all sickbays of the Lords Resistance Army told the court that he partially understood the process against him.
Kwoyelo is facing 93 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity, arising out of atrocities committed while commanding LRA operations in Kilak Hill from which Abera and Pagak villages, and Pabbo, internally displaced persons camp in Amuru district, were attacked and destroyed between 1993 and 2005.