Julius Hakiza, the Albertine region police spokesperson told Uganda Radio Network on Friday that the four suspected Congolese militiamen all armed with guns struck at around 1AM and put the Ugandan fishermen at gunpoint before ordering them to surrender to them the two boat engines.
More than 200 landing sites in the districts of Hoima, Buliisa and Kikuube were listed for closure by the government, for allegedly facilitating the illegal movement of people to and from the Democratic Republic of Congo at the height of a lockdown occasioned by an outbreak of Coronavirus Disease. The first phase of the process saw at least 61 landing sites closed in May.
Julius Hakiza, the Albertine Region Police Spokesperson told Uganda Radio Network this morning that the arrested fishermen are locked up at Kaiso police station pending transfer to Hoima Central Police station.
According to available information, the gunmen who were dressed in military uniform intercepted the fishermen and ordered them to surrender their fishing gear before they shot them. The forth fisherman identified as Ajaru Chobidongo jumped into the water and managed to get away from the gunmen.
Ajaru Chobidongo, a survivor of the attack told Uganda Radio Network that the suspected militiamen dressed in camouflage uniform attacked their boat and held them at gunpoint. They were eventually ordered to surrender their fishing gear.
According to Obura, four Congolese militiamen, armed with an AK 47 rifle raided Lake Albert waters near Nkondo landing site in the wee hours of Tuesday morning and started robbing fishing gear including fishing nets, hooks and boat engines from Ugandan fishermen.
Rogers Tumwesige, one of the affected fishermen, says that four armed men dressed in Congolese military uniforms put them at gun point and ordered them to surrender whatever they had on them. He says that after executing their mission, the militiamen crossed to the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Julius Hakiza, the Albertine Region Police Spokesperson told Uganda Radio Network this morning that the operatives raided Sebigoro landing site around 11pm and started confiscating immature fish from fishermen.
The deceased persons are only identified as Patrick 33, Moses 24, Jakwonga and Olivier 25, all fishermen attached to Kaiso landing site in Tonya Parish Buseruka sub county Hoima district. The fishermen were attacked by a group of eight men armed with three guns, panga's, spears, bows and arrows in November last year.
The most affected Fishermen are from the landing sites of Hoimo, Kaiso, Nkondo, Sebigoro, Kijangi, Kyehoro,Kiryamboga and Kyehoro in the sub counties of Kigorobya, Buseruka, Kyangwali and Kabwoya in Hoima and Kikuube districts.