Security operatives have shot dead a man whom they claim to have tried to arrest at his home in Ruhara village in Bwesumbu sub county, Kasese district. Matayo Bighanzire, who has been the local council vice chairperson, was shot dead at his home at about 8am on Friday, according to Samson Bagenda the Bwesumbu sub county chairperson.
During the meeting between President Museveni and MPs on Wednesday at his farm in Kisozi in Gomba district, the legislators also demanded for the Omusingas unconditional release, as well as those of more than 150 royal guards also on remand in Luzira prison.
Brigadier Charles Bakahumura, the director of military intelligence, is reported to have told Members of Parliament that many of Omusinga Mumberes royal guards belong to Power 10 P10, which was a mobilisation group in villages recruited by opposition Forum for Democratic Change FDC during the 2016 elections.
Over 20 women are reported to have been arrested following clashes between royal guards of the Rwenzururu king, Charles Wesley Mumbere and security forces, which left at least 46 guards dead and over 100 people arrested.
To Mayanja Nkangi, the raid on Buhikira Palace brought back memories of the Lubiri attack 50 years ago. Prime Minister Milton Obote ordered military assault on Mengo Palace, exiling Kabaka Edward Mutesa to the UK where he died three years later. Nkangi was Katikkiro at the time of the attack.
Up to 63 lives have been lost over the last one week, most of them Royal Guards shot during the raid on the Palace on Sunday. Police says they have recovered 14 guns, most of which had been stolen from security installations. Also recovered were army uniforms, spears, machetes, medals, improvised bombs and arrows, among others.
Legislators from Kasese district have reacted angrily to the killing of 46 Rwenzururu royal guards in a clash with the army over the weekend. They say the attack on the Obusinga Bwa Rwenzururu Palace was uncalled for and instead endangered the lives of people.