The Deputy Speaker of Parliament Jacob Oulanyah has revealed that the report on the 2016 Kasese killings is not yet drafted one year after investigations were carried out. The Defence and Internal Affairs committee of Parliament chaired by Mityana Woman MP Judith Nabakooba was in December 2016 directed by the Speaker of Parliament Rebecca Kadaga to probe into the attack on the Rwenzururu Kingdom palace in Kasese town on November 27, 2016.
The directive followed a complaint by Busongora North Member of Parliament William Nzoghu on the delayed presentation of the report which, according to him, would provide answers to questions raised by the people of Kasese.
The coalition questioned why no military or police personnel have been charged for their conduct during the violence that preceded the arrest of Charles Wesley Mumbere, the King of Rwenzururu Kingdom and 180 of his subjects. Mumbere and his subjects, most of them royal guards, have since been charged with murder, treason, and terrorism, among other crimes.
During the meeting between President Museveni and MPs on Wednesday at his farm in Kisozi in Gomba district, the legislators also demanded for the Omusingas unconditional release, as well as those of more than 150 royal guards also on remand in Luzira prison.
The committee now plans to meet Omusinga Charles Wesley Mumbere, the Rwenzururu King who is on remand in Luzira prison. The committee is expected to report back to parliament on its investigations in a special sitting in January.
The attack on Rwenzoruru Kingdom brought back memories of Buganda Kingdoms Lubiri attack 50 years ago. On May 24, 1966 Prime Minister Milton Obote ordered military assault on Mengo Palace, exiling Kabaka Edward Mutesa to the UK where he died three years later.
The committee last week visited Kasese district, where it met several stakeholders, including local leaders and Brigadier Peter Elwelu, who commanded the operation. However, committee chairperson, Judith Nabakooba says they are yet to meet with President Museveni, who is reported to have given orders for the offensive.
Uganda Joint Christian Council UJCC has also regretted the events, which culminated into the loss of lives in Kasese district. While delivering the Christmas message in his capacity as the UJCC Chair, the Archbishop Ntagali appealed to government to expeditiously conduct investigations and identify the culprits.
According to sources who attended a meeting between Katumba, State Minister of Defence, Colonel Charles Okello Engola and MPs on the Defence and Internal Affairs committee, the CDF reportedly said he was in Kampala when the offensive was launched, adding that he only communicated to those on ground on phone.
Brigadier Charles Bakahumura, the director of military intelligence, is reported to have told Members of Parliament that many of Omusinga Mumberes royal guards belong to Power 10 P10, which was a mobilisation group in villages recruited by opposition Forum for Democratic Change FDC during the 2016 elections.
Over 20 women are reported to have been arrested following clashes between royal guards of the Rwenzururu king, Charles Wesley Mumbere and security forces, which left at least 46 guards dead and over 100 people arrested.
Jackson Mbaju, the Busongora South MP and former Attorney General, Rwenzururu Kingdom also punched holes in the government statement on the Kasese killings. He disagreed with the claims by government that Mumbere trained and armed the royal guards.
Addressing journalists at Parliament this afternoon, William Nzoghu, the Busongora North MP, said despite the fact that the Defense minister, Dr. Crispus Kiyonga hails from Kasese, the rising insecurity, mainly instigated by security personnel is proof that government is fuelling the attacks.
Rose Akol, the Internal Affairs minister regretted the killings in her statement to the house. She explained that government has intensified joint operations comprised of the army and police to contain the situation.