He filed his application before the Jinja High Court judge Eva Luswata on March 6, citing advanced age and poor health as reasons for his bail application. The 65 year old is battling hypertension, ulcers and prostate related problems.
Appearing before Jinja Chief Magistrates Court this morning, Mumbere and 161 Royal Guards were presented with a list of 41 counts of crimes allegedly committed between March and November 2016 within the Rwenzori region.
To Mayanja Nkangi, the raid on Buhikira Palace brought back memories of the Lubiri attack 50 years ago. Prime Minister Milton Obote ordered military assault on Mengo Palace, exiling Kabaka Edward Mutesa to the UK where he died three years later. Nkangi was Katikkiro at the time of the attack.
Asked to comment on the arrest of Mumbere, Rev. Geoffrey Kyomuhendo, the Spokesperson of Obundingiya Bwa Bamba Cultural institution in Bundibugyo district, said government has reasons why the Omusinga was arrested.
Up to 63 lives have been lost over the last one week, most of them Royal Guards shot during the raid on the Palace on Sunday. Police says they have recovered 14 guns, most of which had been stolen from security installations. Also recovered were army uniforms, spears, machetes, medals, improvised bombs and arrows, among others.
Jackson Mbaju, the Busongora South MP and former Attorney General, Rwenzururu Kingdom also punched holes in the government statement on the Kasese killings. He disagreed with the claims by government that Mumbere trained and armed the royal guards.
He says video footage broadcast by Ugandan TV stations shows the bodies of young men apparently dumped on river banks and in bushes, and men writhing in pain as they are tossed off pickup trucks with their hands tied behind their backs.
Rwenzururu queen, Nyabaghole Agnes Ithungu, has visited her husband Charles Wesley Mumbere currently being held at Nalufenya police station in Jinja. Ithungu addressed the media, calling for an end to violence and for those arrested to face justice.