According to the announcement on the WHO tweet feed, the two new confirmed cases are relatives of the five-year-old boy- a Ugandan national who was the first case to be confirmed in the country. According to WHO, the five-year-old boy passed away last night.
Health Workers on the Ebola Frontline - Photo courtesy of WHO
Two people, who had initial contact with an Ebola victim in Kasese district, have also tested positive to the deadly virus, the World Health Organization has announced.
According to the announcement on the WHO tweet feed, the two new confirmed cases are relatives of the five-year-old boy- a Ugandan national who was the first case to be confirmed in the country. According to WHO, the five-year-old boy passed away this morning.
The three cases are believed to have travelled to Uganda from DRC after participating in the burial of a family member. On their journey back, they came back with four other relatives one of whom was the widow of the deceased.
The two new confirmed cases include the grandmother to the deceased and his three-year-old brother.
According to WHO, the family first sought treatment at Kagando Hospital after the boy began feeling unwell as soon as they crossed into Uganda on June 9. They are now receiving treatment at Bwera Ebola Treatment Unit, at Bwera Hospital.
The three are the first confirmed cases that Uganda has reported since an outbreak was declared in the DRC in August 2018. As of last week, a total of 2025 Ebola cases had been reported in DRC. 1357 deaths have been recorded in the country since the outbreak was declared.
According to the Ministry of Health, seven probable cases have so far been recorded. These include the mother to the five-year-old deceased boy, his father, a maid and a six months old baby. An uncle to the deceased is also a suspected case, although his whereabouts remain unknown.
Dr Jane Aceng, the Minister of Health says they are still searching for the deceased's uncle. " We do not know where he is but we have teams on the grounds tracing for him. We are also keeping a close eye on all the family members and the other two suspect cases," She said.
Two other Ugandans who are not related to the family are also being grouped as suspected cases. The two are residents of Bwera.
According to the health ministry, 50 people believed to have come into contact with the deceased will be vaccinated this week. " We are confident we will be able to contain the situation. As long as we can immunize these contacts within 10 days."