Police are investigating circumstances, under which a minor was electrocuted in
Kasese Municipality Wednesday. The two-year-old Muhindo Bosco reportedly died after stepping on
a live electric cable in Nyakasanga upper cell in Nyamwamba division.
The live wire according to residents was left on the ground by a technical team from UMEME during their routine maintenance exercise. Wilfred Bagenda, the Kasese District Police Commander, says that they were alerted by the residents shortly after the
incident but they found the boy already dead.
//Cue in: “
Byaberawo incident bwetyo…
Cue out: …nga
Residents and local leaders
blamed power distributors UMEME for not erecting warning signs in areas where they are working. Kenneth
Katindi, one of the residents, says that this is the second person that has been electrocuted in the area within three weeks.
//Cue in: “Line
Cue out: …weeks
Maate, the area LC vice chairperson said
they alerted the UMEME office after seeing the live wire on the ground but there was no timely
response until the minor was electrocuted.
//Cue in: “Kwendabwe eriki ku…
Cue out: …nga gwa black.”//
Efforts to get a comment from UMEME were still futile by the
time of filing this story.