Police in Jinja district is investigating circumstances
under which 23-year old Shamim Nakabugo, a resident of Masese 3 village in
Walukuba - Masese division, Jinja district was electrocuted to death on Sunday morning.
who were seated outside their houses at the time of the incident say
Nakabugo was washing clothes when electric wires fell on
her before she died instantly.
Harriet Naigaga, says that their village is surrounded with
hanging live electric wires as it hosts a hydro power sub-station supplying
electricity to the northern parts of Jinja district.
Naigaga adds that the locals poured a lot of soil on the live electric wire to contain the situation.
//cue in: “kumuti…
Fred Mwesigwa another resident says that Nakabugo is the
third person succumbing to electric shock in a period of two years.
He says that UMEME officials should draft a plan of compensating
grieving families as they are slam dwellers who double as bread winners for
//cue in: “waya…
Fred Mugabi, the village vice chairperson says that UMEME
engineers are reluctant to regularly inspect their electric wires and poles in slum areas
which makes residents prone to accidents resulting from illegal power
//cue in: “tukubiliza…
One of the UMEME electricians who spoke to URN on condition
of anonymity as he is not authorized to speak to the media says that, some
residents have embraced illegal power connections which has weakened the
“Some of these residents keep on cutting these wires so as to
freely tap electricity and this puts their lives at risk
because the wires eventually break down,” he says.
The deceased’s body was later taken to Jinja regional
referral hospital mortuary for a postmortem.