Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /usr/www/users/urnnet/a/story.php on line 43
360 Families Threatened with Eviction from Land in Kyenjojo :: Uganda Radionetwork
Breaking

360 Families Threatened with Eviction from Land in Kyenjojo

The residents recall that their predicament started on April 8, 2020, when panga-wielding men stormed the area and started destroying all crop gardens. But upon inquiry, they say, the men told them that they had been sent by one Enock Kibamu to raze the gardens on the land, whose ownership he claims.

Audio 2


Deprecated: trim(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($string) of type string is deprecated in /usr/www/users/urnnet/a/story.php on line 663
More than 360 families in Ruhoko parish, Nyantungo Sub County in Kyenjojo district are threatened with eviction. 

The residents recall that their predicament started on April 8, 2020, when panga-wielding men stormed the area and started destroying all crop gardens. But upon inquiry, they say, the men told them that they had been sent by one Enock Kibamu to raze the gardens on the land, whose ownership he claims.

Edreda Kakuliremu, one of the affected elders in the area says that the development came as a shocker because, for many of them, this has been home for decades with no threat of eviction or any other encumbrances.  Kakuliremu says he has lived on the land since 1937.

//Cue in; “Haliyo abaana bange…

Cue out… wa nyina nyowe.”// 

She notes that what they know is that the mailo land, which measures about 40 acres, belongs to Kizito Rwabutiiti with whom they have lived without an eviction notice. However, Kakuliremu says there is no evidence to show that the ownership of the land changed ay any given time.

Moses Alicwamu, also one of the affected residents, says that they have made efforts to involve the police and the Kyenjojo Resident District Commissioner Apollo Bwebale in vain. He says they are now stranded without food.    

The RDC Bwebale has asked the residents to remain calm, saying the issue is going to be investigated. President Yoweri Museveni wrote to the RDC on May 28 asking him to intervene in the matter.

//Cue in; “Not to entertain…

Cue out… so decisively.”//  

Rwabutiiti could not be reached by this evening while Kibamu declined to comment on the matter.