Breaking

50 Left Homeless by Lira Residential Building Fire

More than 10 households in Ojwina Division, Lira municipality, were on Sunday evening left homeless after a fire gutted a residential building they were living in.
More than 10 households in Ojwina Division, Lira municipality, were on Sunday evening left homeless after a fire gutted a residential building they were living in.

 

The fire that started at around 4:30pm from one of the rooms on a building about 50 metres from the Division headquarters destroyed household property valued at 20 million shillings.

 

Destroyed property included TVs, mattresses, kitchenware, and furniture. Most tenants were not at home at the time of the fire.

 

George Okot (37), a local resident and an eye witness, said he first heard a strange sound and then saw smoke coming from the building.

 

Okot said that the fire could have been sparked by illegal power connection. This, however, is a claim refuted by the tenants who were on the scene.

 

Attempts by residents to put out the fire were unsuccessful prompting them to call for KK fire crew which arrived later at the scene.

 

Mansur Suwed, Kyoga North regional police spokesman, admitted police could not do anything since they don’t have a fire fighting truck.

 

This is the third fire incident in Lira town in less than two weeks.

 

Just last week Benjamin Okii, a Lira based businessman, lost about 20 million shillings after his timber workshop along Bala road was burnt to ashes.

 

Suwed cautioned residents against illegal power connection saying it is a leading cause of fire outbreak in Lira town.

 

Both Lira district police commander Robert Ssemata, and Steven Eryaku, Lira district Internal Security Officer, were seen watching the building burning helplessly while other residents struggled to rescue property.

Entities

Keywords