Breaking

Agago School Stops Packed Meals Over Food Poisoning

George Okello, the P.3 Class Teacher told Uganda Radio Network on Monday that sample of vomits collected from the children contained poison.
The management of Wanglobo Primary Omot sub-county in Agago district has stopped pupils from carrying packed lunch to schools. It came after four pupils ate fruits laced with unidentified poison last week.

The primary pupils complained of severe stomach pain and started vomiting after  sharing the slices of the fruits that one of them had carried to school for lunch. The pupils were rushed to Geregere Health Center for treatment but they were referred to Kalongo Hospital for comprehensive laboratory diagnosis.

George Okello, the P.3 Class Teacher told Uganda Radio Network on Monday that sample of vomits collected from the children contained poison. George Stevenson Okot, a teacher who accompanied the children to the center revealed the findings to the school Management Committee members.

According to Okot, results of laboratory analysis conducted on the vomit samples confirmed that the fruits were laced with unidentified poisonous substance. He said one of the pupils is still hospitalized at Kalongo Hospital for persistent vomiting, while the other victims were discharged over the weekend.

The medical findings prompted Police crimes and intelligence detectives to initiate investigations into the matter. They picked up Alice Akello, whose child carried the fruits to school to help them in investigations. 

Akello told Police that on the fateful day, she kept the fruits in a neighbor\'s house near Opota trading Center as she worked in her garden. She stressed that many people handled the fruits, which she suspects could have exposed them to contamination.

Akello was released on Police bond after interrogation and a search on her home discovered no poisonous substance.  A joint staff and school management committee emergency meeting held at the school on Monday indefinitely suspended packed meals and those sold to school children over hygiene concerns.

The meeting resolved that packed meals will resume after thorough sensitization of parents and pupils on safer ways to handle packed meals. The incident shines a spotlight on the safety of packed or vended food.

Keywords