Breaking

Bundibugyo Has Worst Housing Status- Study

Methodius Balyesiima, the General Manager Semulike Cooperative Union, which unites farmers involved in Cocoa business, says on average the district earns over Shillings 200 billion from cocoa alone annually.
Some of the houses in Bundibugyo district

Audio 1

Bundibugyo district has the worst housing status in Rwenzori Sub-region, according to a 2017 study conducted by Uganda Housing Cooperative Union limited.  

The study covered houses in Bukonzo, Harugale, Ndaguto, Ngamba, Ntotoro, Bubandi, Busaru, Mirambi, Kisubba, Sindila, Kasitu and Bubandi sub counties among others.

According to Nathan Lwanaga, an administrator in Uganda Housing Cooperative Union limited despite the economic potential of the district, 83.3 per cent of the houses in Bundibugyo are semi-permanent while the remaining 16.7 per cent are temporary. 

Lwanaga says the study looked at houses based on the national planning standards.

//Cue in: "We are looking at ...

Cue out...Can be demolished,"//

Lwanaga attributes the poor housing status in the district on poor planning and approval of poor housing plans. The study also shows that people in Bundibugyo district lack saving skills and knowledge on avenues that can use to come up with good houses.

Methodius Balyesiima, the General Manager Semulike Cooperative Union, which unites farmers involved in Cocoa business, says on average the district earns over Shillings 200 billion from cocoa alone annually.  

He however, says the farmers spend extravagantly on food and clothes. The Bundibugyo District Planner, Charles Mwesige has rubbished the study, saying it is inaccurate.

"When you look at the National Population and Housing Census, 2014, you will find that we have a lot of permanent houses. I haven't looked at the report yet but I think it should be reviewed," Mwesige said.

Images 1