But RDC Tilutya does not regret ordering the setting ablaze of the camp saying it has been illegal in the area. According to the RDC, much as these people had been displaced by slides, they have taken too long without finding an alternative permeant solution and had started to commit crimes in the area such as having sex during day time and theft.
Over 300 residents in Buvuma district spent Monday night in the cold after the Resident District Commissioner set their camp on fire, leaving them in a dilemma during the lockdown when they cannot travel to any other district.
The displaced persons were settled by the National Palm Oil Project company on its land after their homes were destroyed by landslides nearly two years back, and have been waiting for resettlement when the RDC ordered their camp burnt down without giving them an alternative. Fortunately nobody was killed in the fire.
The fire victims have been staying in about 80 camp households. They accuse the Residents District Commission-RDC Godfrey Tilutya of ordering his security team comprising armed police officers and other plain clothed personnel armed with batons to set their camp on fire.
The razed settlement camp has been located at Bukiyindi village in Nairambi sub county comprising of people displaced by land movement in the area in 2019.
Moses Basalirwa the Local Council-LCI Chairperson of Bukiyindi village says over 80 destitute families were displaced by slides that started after heavy rains in the area, creating huge cracks that developed from higher grounds where small streams originated from, before running through Bukiyindi village and draining into Lake Victoria.
As a result, the village council requested the National Oil Palm Project-NOPP to avail them with some land for settlement as they seek for an alternative but to their surprise the RDC visited their camp last week on Monday ordering them to vacate the place without giving them any clear reason. He reportedly said the place was going to be burnt down.
Basalirwa notes that they thought the threat to burn the settlement was a joke, until the entire place was burnt on Monday evening leaving hundreds of people without shelter, on top of the already impoverished citizens losing losing their few belongings especially clothes and documents including National Identity cards.
//Cue in: “Enkuba yatonya eyamanyi…
Cue out: …abantu tebakyalina wakubeera”//
Aliasa Byogero, 70, one of the affected residents finds it hard to explain the pain after vacating his land due to landslides and then being torched in his place of refuge.
//Cue in: “Netusba project ne…
Cue out: …tetulina wetulaga”//
Another resident Zamaladi Baturibundi 72, appeals to the government intervene and penalize the RDC for this brutal act. He notes that the person who would be protecting them has instead set them to suffer until their death.
//Cue in: “Twava emanga nga…
Cue out: …nga kitugwamu”//
But RDC Tilutya, does not regret ordering the setting ablaze of the camp saying it has been illegal in the area. According to Tilutya, much as these people had been displaced by slides, they had taken too long without finding an alternative permeant solution and had started to commit crimes in the area such as having sex during day time and theft.
//Cue in: “They have been…
Cue out: …and everything”//
Currently, the District Chairperson Adrian Ddungu is still puzzled over how pro to provide shelter to this people. He says he is looking for all possible ways to find new settlement especially for the elderly people and others since they cannot even move to any other district due to the current lockdown and movement restriction.
The chairman is still wondering why the security committee could not arrest only the wrong doers in the camp since they claim to be having security intelligence.