Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /usr/www/users/urnnet/a/story.php on line 43
Court Bailiff Remanded over Alleged Murder of Businessman :: Uganda Radionetwork

Court Bailiff Remanded over Alleged Murder of Businessman

Kirunda, on Tuesday, appeared before the Makindye Chief Magistrate Anne Sarah Basemera for the alleged murder of Mugwanya last month.
Renowned court bailiff Moses Kirunda spent Tuesday night in Kitalya prison after being remanded by Makindye Chief Magistrate’s Court for the murder of city businessman Magid Mugwanya. Kirunda 57, appeared before Makindye Chief Magistrate Anne Sarah Basemera to answer for Mugwanya’s murder on June 14th, 2021.

According to the charge sheet, Kirunda together with Maj. Nelson Kyatuuka who is attached to the Chieftaincy of Military Intelligence-CMI in Mbuya and others still at large while at Kitanzi zone, Lungujja in Rubaga Division in Kampala with malice aforethought caused the death of Mugwanya.

According to the court records, Mugwanya had parked his car on the roadside when he saw three men dragging a woman into a vehicle while yelling for help.

Mugwanya jumped out of his vehicle to try and help the woman but was shot in the chest by one of the three men despite identifying himself and raising his hands, a sign that he meant no harm. Mugwanya died on the spot as the suspects fled the scene. Kirunda went into hiding until Monday when he was arrested by the State House Anti-Corruption Unit and presented in court. 

The Makindye Chief Magistrate, Anne Sarah Basemera read for Kirunda charges and didn’t allow him to take please since the matter is beyond the jurisdiction of her court. She remanded him to Kitalya prisons until September 1, 2021, when he will return to court for the mention of his case. 

Maj. Nelson Marks Kyatuuka who is said to have committed the offence together with Kirunda appeared before the Makindye based court-martial last week where he was charged with one count of murder and failure to protect war materials. He pleaded not guilty to the charges and was remanded to Makindye Military Police Barracks until August 25.

Support us