Fire has gutted a building opposite Sure House along Bombo road in Kampala\'s central business district destroying property worth billions of Shillings.
The affected building was home to Verma Company, the dealers of Bajaj Motorcycles, City Dental and Medical Supplies, Shankar Enterprises and a Winery.
John Kaggwa, an eye witnesses, told Uganda Radio Network that the fire started at about 12:30 pm behind the building. The Police fire and rescue service was called in to help put out the fire. By the time the Police Fire brigade arrived with two trucks, the fire had consumed the entire building.
Geofrey Kaheebwa, the Deputy Kampala South Regional Police Commander says it took a lot of efforts to put out the huge fire. According to Kaheebwa, none of the occupants of the building had firefighting equipment.
Kaheebwa says preliminary indications are that the fire could have been caused by a short circuit. He explains that barrels of wine crumbled in the basement and it is likely that electric wires got damaged, adding that forensics will come out with the real cause of the fire.
The business owners were shell-shocked to talk to the media as they, their workers and friends, salvaged whatever they could. Kaheebwa appeals to building owners and businesses to ensure that they have fire brigade hotlines in particular and the police in general in order to deal with such occurrences in time.
//Cue in: To the general ...
Cue out: ... provide services.
By the time of filing this report the fire brigade was still fighting the fire. Sections of the building caved in. Buildings adjacent to the gutted building were not affected.
The incident caused a huge traffic jam on Bombo Road as well as adjacent Kampala, Kyaggwe, Buganda and Ben Kiwanuka roads.