A fire out break at the Bank of Uganda Currency centre in Kabale, south western Uganda, has destroyed the centre's backup generator worth 50 million shillings.
The fire started at around 11:20 am and but the police at the site was unable to put out the fire as the bank's fire defence equipment was locked inside the bank.
A police officer who was at the bank when the fire started says that he heard a loud explosion before smoke started oozing out of the generator.
He says that the explosion took place shortly after some Bank of Uganda staff had left to find fuel for the generator shortly after power went off.
He says that they spent about 20 minutes trying to decide on what to do to put out the fire
Police officers resorted to using buckets and jerry cans to fetch water and a total of 15 fire extinguishers which were picked from Kabale referral hospital and Kabale school of Nursing got used up but could not put out the fire.
At around 11:00 am, Bank of Uganda officials arrived and opened the store where the hosepipe was kept and it is the one that was used to put out the fire.
Jean Lucas, a security supervisor for Bank of Uganda, told Uganda Radio network that the fire was a result of fuel leakage at the generator.
She says that there was an overflow of fuel to the generator which caught fire shortly after the explosion was heard.
//Cue in: “after refilling it…
Cue out:..a great loss:”//
Kigezi Regional police commander Olivia Rosemary Wawile told Uganda Radio network that the mess was caused by the workers at the bank who did not close the pipe which supplies fuel to the generator which resulted in an over flow.
Wawile further blames the BoU officials for locking up the outbreak the fire defence equipment. Police did not also have access to a map of the bank’s lay out to be able to act quickly.
//Cue in: “so next time…
Cue out:…the fire defense:”//
Wawile explained that because Kigezi region does not have a fire station, they will have to wait until government procurement processes are through.