Breaking

Fire Guts Building, Destroyes Property Worth Millions of Shillings

Gilbert Bwire, one of the fire victims, says that he went to teach and left his roommate ironing clothes using a flat iron. He suspects that his colleague could have left the cable of the flat iron in electricity.

Audio 4

Fire has gutted a residential building in Dabani village in Dabani Sub-county in Busia district destroying property worth millions of Shillings.

The affected property includes beds, mattresses, television-TV set, sofa set chairs, academic documents and clothes among others. Robert Piriyo, the in-Charge of the Busia Police Fire and Rescue Services who reached the scene, says that the fire started from an electric circuit.

He appealed to residents to desist from mishandling electricity and switch off power after use. Piriyo says that they have embarked on conducting community sensitization through radio talk shows on the danger of mishandling fire.

English audio:

//Cue in: "I got a call from...

 

Cue out:...one- one zeero"//





Gilbert Bwire, one of the fire victims, says that he went to teach and left his roommate ironing clothes using a flat iron. He suspects that his colleague could have left the cable of the flat iron in electricity.  

Samia audio:

//Cue in: "Naanu obudinyu buhuli...

 

Cue out:...what caused that,"//



Dinah Musawo, a neighbor says that they only saw smoke coming out through the windows and doors and raised alarm that attracted neighbors. She says that they tried to break the padlock in order to save household property in vain.  

//Cue in: "Hutuliire nihubba endulu...



Cue out:...ewaya chyegattire"//

Christine Nekesa, a resident of the area, says that the police Police Fire and Rescue Service team took more than 20 minutes to reach the scene despite being only 4 kilometers away in Busia town.

//Cue in: "Hulwohuba siyoleere mubiha...  

Cue out:...yibayoleere nibisiiya"//