Traders in Marchi D village in Busia Municipality are
counting losses after fire gutted the building in which they were operating.
fire that gutted the building which had four shops and a video hall
reportedly started after 2am. Property worth millions of shillings was
destroyed in the fire.
Some of the properties destroyed
include, a new motorcycle, Generator, a television-T.V set, bicycle,
phones, a fun, 3
tables and 30 benches, mattresses and bed sheets were used in a video
hall. Others are 8 bags of charcoal, about 40 bunches of Matooke, 5
tomatoes, and other retail shop accessories that were in the two shops.
Ngala, who runs the video hall says that he was a sleep in the video
hall and only woke up because of too much heat caused by the fire. Ngala
said he made an alarm and he was rescued by the neighbors.
//Cue in: “Kwenda kulala ndaani…
Cue out: …niko tu hivyo.” //
Maureen Apoya, a trader in the building says that she lost bags of
charcoal, tomatoes, onions among other things valued at 2.5 million
shillings that she had just stocked. Ibrahim Kitawo, the
video hall proprietor says that has gone back to zero because all his
in the video hall he was considering as source of income got burnt.
//Cue in: “Mubeere mu amanda….
Cue out:…bingi bifiriide
Robert Harry Piriyo, the officer
in-charge fire attached to Busia central police station says that by the time
they rushed to the scene it was too late. He said they yet to ascertain the major cause of the fire outbreak in the building.
They however managed to stop fire
from spreading to the neighboring houses. He appealed to residents in the area to
ensure they get police contacts so that they can always call them immediately
whenever there's a fire outbreak.
//Cue in: “Cutting the fire from…
Police picked part of the burnt
properties and took them to Busia central police station as they carry out investigations.