Fr. Joseph Long, the Principal of St. Joseph Vocational Training Center which shares premises with the affected school, says the police fire team managed to contain the fire from spreading to other nearby buildings.
Fire has gutted the boys' dormitory at St. Mary's Namaliga Secondary School in Luweero reducing property worth millions of Shillings to ash.
Bro. Julian Claver, one of the care takers at the school that is located in Bombo, says the fire started at around 6:55am Tuesday morning.
//Cue In: “I think it might………………….
Cue Out: ……………investigations to go on.”
Some of the students rushed from the Church to try and salvage their property, but it was too late since the dormitory was in flames.
Fr. Joseph Long, the Principal of St. Joseph Vocational Training Center which shares buildings with the affected school, says the police fire team managed to contain the fire from spreading to other nearby buildings.
According to father Long, they are yet to establish the cause of the fire. Paul Kangave, the Savannah Region Police Spokesperson told URN that he hadn't heard about the fire. “I am green about it but let me contact these officers to tell me about it,” he said.
Rt. Rev. Paul Ssemogerere, the Bishop of Kasana-Luweero Diocese visited the Church founded school later on Tuesday evening after learning about the misfortune. He said he hoped it was not a case of arson.
He told the students that it was good that none of them was hurt and asked the affected students to remain calm, saying he will work with the school administration to look into their loss.
The incident came just a few hours after similar incidents of fire were reported at Mary Stuart hall in Makerere University and Buhesi hotel at Makerere University Business School in Nakawa Kampala.