A family in Lugonjo-Nakiwogo village , Entebbe Municipality is counting a loss of over shillings 5 million after fire gutted their home on Monday night.
The fire, which gutted the iron sheet roofed house, broke out after 7:30pm.
According to eye witnesses including Peter Kisakye, the fire broke out when Ibrahim Kasujja and his wife had left home around 7pm to visit someone near Banga playground. Kisakye says the playground is almost 500metres away from Kasujja's home.
He adds that the duo left their three children playing outside.
However, there was a power blackout and the children lit a candle. The candle was placed inside the living room. But after lighting the candle, the children sat on the verandah to wait for their parents, who had gone half a kilometre away during curfew time..
Neighbours saw tongues of flames coming out of the house and also heard the children screaming for help.
As the neighbours evacuated the children, their parents returned home and joined the others who were trying to put out the fire by pouring water over the burning roof. They extinguished the fire after an hour with the help of the Police Fire brigade.
Kasujja, aged 28 years, deals in selling and repairing electrical appliances. He has told neighbours that everything including mattresses, blankets and other property got burnt beyond recognition.
The destroyed items are estimated to cost 5.8 million.
Kisakye says the family is dire need of basics such as beddings, food, clothes among others.
However some residents are blaming the couple for leaving the children unattended at night.
Meanwhile, Kisakye and neighbours have donated some food items to the distressed family. Kisakye is however urging residents and well wishers to donate items including food so that Kasujja's family may get some relief.