people have died and several others injured in a fire that gutted several houses in Kyemuka Zone in Kamwokya. The fire also destroyed property worth
millions of shillings.
According to eyewitnesses, the fire that started at 7:00 pm was caused by electric sparks
from one high power voltage line. The
fire first gutted wooden structures before it spread to several
makeshift houses. It destroyed property such as mattresses, fridges, Television sets among
The Fire brigade police could hardly get to the scene due to poor and narrow roads
and congestion, leaving the affected residents with no choice but to put out
the fire in the possible ways they could.
Some residents were electrocuted as they rescued their properties while several
others were injured in a stampede caused by sparks from electric wires of
the high-power voltages. John
Kasozi and Emmanuel Obonge, both residents in Kyamuka ghettos attributed the
cause of the fire to the rampant illegal power connections in the areas.
//Cue in; “poor wiring in…
Cue out... Some people in.”//
Rita Nakayima, a resident blamed the fire brigade for arriving late. She says
that police fire brigade arrived more than 30 minutes after the fire had
Kira Road police emergency lines, but all were not going through, and the one
that arrived earlier had not enough water, maybe they would have saved some
people’s properties. Nakayima said”
But Joseph Nsubuga, an area councillor, explained that the fire brigade’s earlier efforts to extinguish the fire were hampered by a lack of access roads for emergencies. “You can see this is a ghetto place, some big trucks carrying water could not manoeuvre through in time. he noted”
to the deputy Kampala Metropolitan Police Spokesperson Luke
Owoyesigyire, so far two deaths have been confirmed but their identities were still unknown.