Two Dead As Fire Guts Houses in Kamwokya

According to eyewitnesses, the fire started at 6:45 pm and spread to other makeshift houses, destroying property such as mattresses, fridges, Television sets among other items.

Audio 1

Two people have died and several others injured in a fire that gutted several houses in Kyemuka Zone in Kamwokya. The fire also destroyed property worth millions of shillings.

According to eyewitnesses, the fire that started at 7:00 pm was caused by electric sparks from one high power voltage line. The fire first gutted wooden structures before it spread to several makeshift houses.  It destroyed property such as mattresses, fridges, Television sets among other items.

The Fire brigade police could hardly get to the scene due to poor and narrow roads and congestion, leaving the affected residents with no choice but to put out the fire in the possible ways they could. 

Some residents were electrocuted as they rescued their properties while several others were injured in a stampede caused by sparks from electric wires of the high-power voltages. John Kasozi and Emmanuel Obonge, both residents in Kyamuka ghettos attributed the cause of the fire to the rampant illegal power connections in the areas.

//Cue in; “poor wiring in…

Cue out... Some people in.”//

Rita Nakayima, a resident blamed the fire brigade for arriving late. She says that police fire brigade arrived more than 30 minutes after the fire had started. 

“We called Kira Road police emergency lines, but all were not going through, and the one that arrived earlier had not enough water, maybe they would have saved some people’s properties. Nakayima said”   

But Joseph Nsubuga, an area councillor, explained that the fire brigade’s earlier efforts to extinguish the fire were hampered by a lack of access roads for emergencies. “You can see this is a ghetto place, some big trucks carrying water could not manoeuvre through in time. he noted”  

According to the deputy Kampala Metropolitan Police Spokesperson Luke Owoyesigyire, so far two deaths have been confirmed but their identities were still unknown.