Breaking

Five Electronics Shops Burnt In Hoima

The incident believed to have been caused by an electric short circuit, occurred on Saturday morning. The burnt shops are all housed in one building on Hoima-Fort Portal road in the heart of Hoima Town. Police say the fire broke out at midnight.

Audio 1

Fire has gutted five electronics shops in Hoima town destroying electronic appliances worth millions of shillings.

 

The incident believed to have been caused by an electric short circuit, occurred on Saturday morning.The burnt shops are all housed in one building on Hoima-Fort Portal road in the heart of Hoima Town. Police say the fire broke out at midnight.

 

Ismail Magombe, the officer in charge Hoima Police station, says the fire started from Bisimilah electronics shop and then spread to the neighboring shops. Magombe says by the time police fire brigade arrived, the fire was already raging through four shops. Police managed to save the 5th shop from extensive damage.

 

Magombe says that it seems someone in the Bisimilah shop left some of their electronics appliances plugged in and this may have caused the short circuit.

 

//Cue in.. “They had left…

Cue out….tapping electricity.”//

 

John Tugume, a neighbor to the burnt shops, says prior to the inferno, power disappeared and when it returned, he heard small blasts inside Bismilah’s shop. Shortly smoke was seen coming out of the shop.

 

Yunus Tibakanya, the director of the two Bisimilah electronic shops and mobile money agents says his merchandize, among them phones, solar panels, bulbs, and radios, was razed by fire. The sobbing businessman could not readily value his destroyed stock but only revealed he had just borrowed a business loan from Pride Micro-Finance Limited.

 

Other affected shops are Twaha computer and electronics center and Asiimwe electronics centre. By 9am police was still at the scene as residents thronged the area to witness this great loss. Two years ago two textile shops were gutted by fire on Wright road, Hoima town. The fire comes barely a year after Hoima Hardware market got burnt down.

 

Police investigations always point to negligence by shop owners, as they don’t switch off power when locking their premises. Poor and old power installations are the other identified causes of fire outbreaks.

Keywords