The Uganda Badminton Association UBA has confirmed that France, Poland, India and Nigeria will send players for the 2017 Uganda International Para-Badminton Open Championship.
A Para- Badminton player during an international Championship.
The Uganda Badminton Association (UBA) has confirmed that France, Poland, India and Nigeria will send players for the 2017 Uganda International Para-Badminton Open Championship.
He said it is only the four foreign nations confirmed participation when entry closed for the event to take place April 25-30 at the MTN Arena, Lugogo Sports Center. “We are optimistic the World governing body will make a financial assistance towards the event.
The Badminton President in Uganda, Shaban Nkuutu said they are happy that Badminton World Federation (BWF) recognises Uganda's efforts in promoting para – badminton as well. We shall do everything possible to make sure we have a very successful tournament,” added Nkuutu.
Para-badminton was added to the Paralympic Games programme for the 2020 Tokyo Games in the autumn of 2014 by the International Paralympic Committee.
In a related development UBA has also said they lack finances to send a team to the 2017 All Africa Seniors Badminton Championship slated for April 28-30 in Pretoria, South Africa.
“We just finished hosting the Uganda International Open Championship last month and do not have money to send a team for the All Africa Seniors Championship,” the Chief Executive Officer of the Uganda Badminton Association, Simon Mugabi told URN on phone.
He however said they will accept to clear players who are ready to look for their own finances to take part in the event.