Breaking

Govt Rules Out IDP Camp For Bududa Landslide Victims

Government has ruled out any possibility of establishing an Internally Displaced People’s –IDP camp for the more than 2,000 people displaced by the landslides in Bududa district. Musa Ecweru, the State Minister for Relief and Disaster Preparedness, says government is not able to maintain these people in the camp.

Audio 2

Government has ruled out any possibility of establishing an Internally Displaced People’s –IDP camp for the more than 2,000 people displaced by the landslides in Bududa district.

Musa Ecweru, the State Minister for Relief and Disaster Preparedness, says government is not able to maintain these people in the camp.

Ecweru says the establishment of an IDP camp would require government to establish essential institutions like schools, a health unit, police posts among others, something he says is not possible at the moment.

Ecweru on Tuesday told URN that currently government is mobilizing logistics to purchase and deliver to the survivors, tarpaulins for temporary shelter and food and other essential non-food relief items to rehabilitate them.

He said a truckload of relief food items that include beans and maize flour had been dispatched from Kampala to Bududa.

John Baptist Nambeshe, the Bududa District LC 5 chairperson, says as the district, they are also against the establishment of an IDP camp. He says the district is incapacitated in terms of funds to manage a camp.

Nambeshe says there are many challenges associated with the establishment of the camp including inadequate assistance from government to facilitate and rehabilitate the victims’ lives.

//Cue in: “District Disaster management…

Cue out: …sustain a camp.”//

Nambeshe says currently they are encouraging the survivors to take refuge at their friends and relatives’ homes. He said once the district receives relief aid, they will be followed and given assistance from wherever they are.

//Cue in: “Of course we…

Cue out: …a last resort.”//

Vincent Waboya, the principal Disaster Officer in the Office of the Prime Minister, says government is looking forward to having a permanent relocation for those living on the slopes of Mt Elgon areas which he says are at high risk of another disaster any time.

He says government has allocated 8 billion shillings for the purchase of land for resettling these people in Bugisu region. He says together with the local leaders of the area they are looking for the land for immediate relocation and implementation of urbanization program as was earlier agreed after the 2012 Bulucheke landslide.

In 2012 government received 123 million shillings as a donation from the South Korean government to help the Bulucheke landslide victims.

The money was used for purchasing tents for temporary accommodation of the victims.

This was after the landslides killed 8 people, injured 9 others and displaced scores of them in Bulucheke Sub County, Bududa district.

Ends

Keywords