Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /usr/www/users/urnnet/a/story.php on line 43
I Connected Kipoi to Rwenzori Rebels - Witness :: Uganda Radionetwork

I Connected Kipoi to Rwenzori Rebels - Witness

Top story
According to Muhumuza, he was surprised by the questions and asked Kipoi why he was asking him such questions. Kipoi reportedly replied that M23 was comprised of Ugandans and Rwandese who would be difficult to deal with as they plot to overthrow government.
Kipoi and his co-accused in the dock at the general court martial
Etienne Muhumuza, the Chairperson of Bundibugyo District Public Accounts Committee helped to connect the jailed former Bubulo West Legislator, Tony Nsubuga Kipoi with rebels in Rwenzori Mountains. 

Muhumuza told the General Court Martial sitting in Makindye chaired by Lt. Gen Andrew Gutti that he helped to link Kipoi with the rebels operating in Rwenzori Mountains along the Uganda and Democratic Republic of Congo-DRC border.

According to Muhumuza, he knew Kipoi in 2012 through Lt. Yashin Siraji, the Sector Intelligence Officer in Rwebisengo in Ntoroko District. He explained that Lt. Yashin sent him Shillings 50,000 on mobile money and asked him to join him in Kampala to meet some government officials at Hotel City Square. 

According to Muhumuza, when he arrived in Kampala, he linked up with Lt Yashin and proceeded to Country Gardens in Kitintale. He said on their way, Lt. Yashin made a phone call to someone he referred to as "Honorable'. He says shortly after Lt. Yashin informed him that he had got an assignment about a group of people planning to over overthrow government, who need to be connected to ‘COGAI', a rebel group led by Col. John Musinguzi Bebwa.

According to Muhumuza, Kipoi joined them at Country Gardens a few hours later with someone who only identified himself as Iddi, an IT expert. He explained that Lt. Yashin introduced him to Muhumuza as the person they were waiting for all along. Muhumuza told court that Kipoi turned to him and asked whether it was possible for him to meet Col. Bebwa and whether 'COGAI' had any links with M23 rebels in DRC. 

According to Muhumuza, he was surprised by the questions and asked Kipoi why he was asking him such questions. Kipoi reportedly replied that M23 was comprised of Ugandans and Rwandese who would be difficult to deal with as they plot to overthrow government. 

Muhumuza was then tasked to find out whether the groups can work together. Before he could find out, Lt. Yashin reportedly intervened, saying he had been monitoring 'COGAI ' and it's an independent rebel group. Kipoi allegedly convinced the group that countries such as Britain, Germany, Italy, France and America among others where he had been were ready to support a rebellion to oust "the old man" out of power.

Muhumuza also told court that Kipoi convinced them that he had contacts in CMI, SFC, Air Defense forces and Artillery who would help the struggle. According to Muhumuza, the meeting was adjourned to the next day on Friday December 21st, 2012 at Lovely Guest House in Kitintale since the main issue was to see how Kipoi would link up with Col. Bebwa. 

The witness said he then contacted Col. Bebwa and informed him about their plan to overthrown government and agreed to meet Kipoi. The former legislator was reportedly picked up from Kampala on Saturday December, 22nd, 2012 for a meeting that was earlier on scheduled to take place at Rwebisengo Border. 

Col. Bebwa was picked from the DRC border in vehicle Registration number UAR 009Q and taken to Tmook in Fort Portal for the meeting. He explained that Kipoi was in the company of two people who introduced themselves as Lt. Col Wandawa and Captain Magomu. According to Muhumuza, Lt. Yashin moderated the meeting. 

Col. Bebwa introduced himself as the Commandant COGAI rebel group, which was operating in Rwenzori Mountains. He was escorted by Lt Col Sharity, the spokesperson of COGAI rebel group. Before the meeting could be dissolved, the participants were picked up by plain clothed security personnel and whisked off to Kireka in Kampala escorted by three Police Patrol Vans. 

The suspects kept laughing in the dock as the suspect gave his testimony. During cross examination by Kipoi's lawyer, retired Major Ronald Iduuli, Muhumuza told court that he was released after three hours, saying he would serve as a state witness. Col. Bebwa was also released on unspecified grounds a week later. Lt. General Andrew Gutti adjourned court to October 29th 2018 for further hearing.