Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /usr/www/users/urnnet/a/story.php on line 43
ICC Resumes Screening of Ongwen Trial in Northern Uganda :: Uganda Radionetwork
Breaking

ICC Resumes Screening of Ongwen Trial in Northern Uganda

The ongoing phase is featuring testimonies of prominent defence witnesses testifying before The Hague based court. The Court is trying Ongwen for 70 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity, sexual and gender based crimes, allegedly committed during the course of the Lord’s Resistance Army conflict in Northern Uganda.
06 Mar 2019 07:28
Former Commander of the Lord's Resistance Army Dominic Ongwen

Audio 4


Deprecated: trim(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($string) of type string is deprecated in /usr/www/users/urnnet/a/story.php on line 663
The International Criminal Court – ICC has resumed the screening of the trial of former Lord’s Resistance Army Commander Dominic Ongwen in Northern Uganda.  The Court last updated victims of the conflict on the progress of the trial in December last year.    

The ongoing phase is featuring testimonies of prominent defence witnesses testifying before The Hague based court. The Court is trying Ongwen for 70 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity, sexual and gender based crimes, allegedly committed during the course of the Lord’s Resistance Army conflict in Northern Uganda.     

Ongwen who has denied all the charges is calling 72 witnesses to defend him in the case. So far, 19 defence witnesses – two of whom are sons of fugitive rebel leader Joseph Kony have testified for him in court. The Court has also admitted sworn testimonies of another set of ten witnesses leaving another set of 43 witnesses to testify in court.     

It is hoped that the screening will plug the large access to justice gap between the Court in The Hague, Netherlands and the victims’ community in Northern Uganda in on the trial of the former Lord’s Resistance Army Commander.    

Jimmy Ocogo, an officer of the ICC Outreach Office in Uganda says they are screenings summaries of the defence witness testimonies among victims of the conflict in the four case locations where Dominic Ongwen is alleged to have committed the crimes amongst others.    

//Cue in: “You know that…  

Cue out: “…in the communities”//   

On Tuesday, the Outreach office conducted the screening under a tree in Industrial area in Gulu Town. Ocogo says the screening will move to Dominic Ongwen’s birth place in Coorom on Thursday thereafter to the other case locations in Lukodi, Odek, Abok and Pajule. The crimes are alleged to have been committed between July 1 2002, and  July 31, 2005.     

During the screening session in Industrial Area, Ocogo explained to more than 350 residents who attended the proceedings of the court will take to implement reparations of victims whether Dominic Ongwen is convicted by the Court or not.  He says the Court can order restitution or community reparation in which public infrastructures will be built for the victim community.       

The residents also demanded to understand when the trial of Dominic Ongwen will end. Ocogo says the screening is being supported by the Danish Embassy in Uganda under a project known as the Access to Justice Project.     

//Cue in: “The last update we ….  

Cue out: “…. huge investments”//     

Last year, the Outreach office screened summary of the testimonies of Rwot Yusuf Okwonga Adek, the first Defense witness of Dominic Ongwen detailing the cultural dimension of the Lord’s Resistance Army conflict as well as the spiritual aspect of the conflict. Also screened was the testimonies of two spiritualists who testified in The Hague based Court.     

A similar screening was conducted in the Prosecution phase of the trial which featured 69 witnesses which ended in April last year followed by seven witnesses presented by the Office of the Public Counsel for Victims in May 2018.