Breaking

Kabarole Youth Write to IGP over Demonstration

However, the more than 100 in number and led by Thomas Kakuru and Samuel Mwesige Byahurwa are strongly opposed to the resolution and have planned to stage a protest on Monday.
15 May 2019 11:00
The youths say that the resolution by Tooro leaders to back President Kaguta Museveni as NRM's sole presidential candidate in 2021 polls was done without consulting the masses
A group of youth in Kabarole district have written to the Inspector General of Police - IGP, Martin Okoth Ochola, requesting for security to hold a peaceful demonstration against a resolution by Tooro leaders to back President Museveni’s Sole candidature in 2021.  

Last week, leaders in the Tooro sub-region met Museveni at Kalya Courts in Fort Portal.   

The leaders unanimously backed Museveni as NRM’s sole presidential candidate in 2021 polls.   

However, the more than 100 in number and led by Thomas Kakuru and Samuel Mwesige Byahurwa are strongly opposed to the resolution and have planned to stage a protest on Monday.

“The purpose of this letter is, therefore, to inform you about the above activity and even request for security during the demonstration exercise on Monday, May 20th 2019 starting at 9 am,” reads the letter.   

Commenting on the matter, the Kabarole District LCV Chairperson, Richard Rwabuhinga, said as leaders, they don’t regret their decision. He explained that once people voted them into power, they were empowered to make decisions on their behalf, and can’t consult everybody before making every decision.   

However, he says that it would have been better if they took their concerns to the leaders without necessarily holding a demonstration.