Kampala Bomb Terror Suspects Yet to Face Trial

The eight suspects have for the past three years been waiting for their constitutional petition to be fixed for hearing.
The trial of 8 terror suspects arrested in connection to the July 11, 2010 Kampala twin bombings is yet to take off. The bombs went off simultaneously on July 11th 2010 at Kyadondo rugby grounds along Jinja road and the Ethiopian Village restaurant in Kabalagala during the live broadcast of the finals of world cup killing 84 people and injuring several others. 11 suspects were picked up from neighboring Kenya and Tanzania and later extradited to Uganda. The suspects have since reduced to eight after three were released for lack of evidence against them.

To date, the trial of the remaining suspect has never kicked off. They are Omar Awadh Omar, Hussein Hassan Agade, Mohamed Adan Abdow, Idris Magondu, Mohammad Hamid Suleiman, Yahya Suleiman, Mbuthia and Habib Suleiman Njoroge all from Kenya and Tanzania. The eight suspects are still waiting for a date to be fixed by the constitutional court for their petition. Jane Okuo Kajugo, the spokesperson of the Directorate of Public Prosecution says they are ready to proceed with the prosecution but they are being held back by a petition before the constitutional court, in which the suspects are challenging their extradition to Uganda. The petition has not been fixed because of lack of quorum in the constitutional court.


Kajugo says once the petitions that fall under the docket of the attorney general are disposed off they will proceed with the charges against the suspects.Duncan Ondimu, the lawyer of the suspects couldn't be reached for comment as he is out of the country. However, in an earlier interview with the East African is quoted saying that he had raised the issue of his client’s bail applications with the acting Deputy Chief Judge Steven Kavuma who promised to grant priority to them once the constitutional court gains quorum. However the court will only gain that quorum after the 52 new judges are vetted and passed by the parliament. The suspects are in custody at Luzira prison.