Kampala Metropolitan Deputy Police spokesperson Luke Owoyesigyire said one of the injured victims is in critical condition at Kiruddu National Referral Hospital while others are admitted at Mulago Hospital.
Traders in Kamwokya are counting losses following Thursday’s fire
On Thursday two people died when fire gutted several houses in
Kyamuka Zone in Kamwokya, destroying property worth millions of shillings. The fire that started at 7:00 pm was caused
by electric sparks from one high power voltage line.
The fire gutted wooden structures before it spread to several makeshift
houses. It destroyed property such as mattresses, fridges, Television sets
among other items.
John Kigozi says that he lost his entire stock worth 3 Million Shillings
as his shop got burnt. Kigozi says by the time he rushed to the market, it
was too late to save anything.
Florence Nakato, whose merchandise was burnt to
ashes, says she had just counted 5 million shillings in cash and kept it in her
shop when she heard an explosion.
Nakato says that a TV set, woofers, two refrigerators, among other things, was
all destroyed by the fire.
Kampala Metropolitan Deputy Police spokesperson Luke Owoyesigyire
on Friday said that Nine people are nursing injuries sustained. He says that one of the injured victims is in critical condition at Kiruddu National Referral Hospital while others are admitted at Mulago
He also says that Edison Ambikire, the Officer-in-charge Kyebando
Police post is also nursing injuries.
The fire brigade police could hardly get to the scene due to poor and narrow
roads and congestion, leaving the affected residents with no choice but to put
out the fire in the possible ways they could.
Some residents were electrocuted as they rescued their properties while several
others were injured in a stampede caused by sparks from electric wires of
the high-power voltages.
Robert Donkara the Chairperson of Kisenyi II Zone has identified the deceased
as Amia Carol 17- years and Stephen Okwale, a resident of Mulimira zone.
According to Donkara, most of the people who sustained injuries were hit by the
high-voltage electric wires as they scampered for safety.
//Cue in; “those were hit by…
Cue out... the collapsed wire.”//
Donkara also says that more than 200 hundred people
have been left homeless. He called for government intervention since most of
the households had not received the covid-19 relief cash.
Tom Kayiwa, another resident of Kyamuka zone, says that four of
his colleagues who had turned up to help put off the fire were hit by the wires injuring them.
//Cue in; “ banaffe bali in…
Cue out... abalumizidwa mu.”//
According to the annual crime report 2020, compiled
by fire and rescue services headed by Joseph Mugisa, the police
recorded 1,015 fire incidents last year and the majority of them were
in residential homes.