Breaking

Kasese MPs Ask Gov't to Release Bodies of Royal Guards

Winnie Kiiza, the Leader of Opposition in Parliament, says the relatives of the deceased Royal Guards have been calling their area leaders, complaining about the delayed release of their bodies to their kinsmen.
Leader of Opposition in Parliament, Winnie Kiiza with MPs from Kasese district

Audio 2

Legislators from Kasese district have asked government to release the bodies of Rwenzururu Royal guards killed in the weekend clashes with the army.

 

At least 46 Rwenzururu Royal guards were killed in an offensive by the army on the Buhikira palace of King, Charles Wesley Mumbere on Sunday afternoon.

More than 140 royal guards and King Charles Wesley Mumbere were picked up during the military offensive. Mumbere has since been charged with murder. 

  

However, the army is yet to release the bodies of the dead Royal guards to their families for burial. Winnie Kiiza, the Leader of Opposition in Parliament, says the relatives of the deceased Royal Guards have been calling their area leaders, complaining about the delayed release of their bodies to their kinsmen.

 

According to Kiiza, there are reports that government is planning to bury some of the bodies in a mass grave.

//Cue In: "We want to know...

Cue Out: ...in a mass grave"//

 

William Nzoghu, the Busongora North MP, says the bodies of the royal guards are decomposing because they haven't been treated due to lack of medical personnel.

 

  

But Police Spokesperson, Andrew Felix Kaweesi, says the bodies of the Royal Guards were handed over to Fort Portal, Kilembe and Bwera hospitals, where the families are picking them. He says so far, two bodies have been claimed from Kasese mortuary.

 

Kiiza also demands that government states the whereabouts and numbers of the Royal guards in custody.

//Cue in: "Carrying them...

Cue Out: ...also"//