Breaking

Kasule – Not ready to bid for Afcon hosting

Uganda has abandoned bidding plans to host the 2019 and 2012 Editions of the Africa Cup of Nations.
25 Sep 2013 11:34
 

 

Uganda has abandoned bidding plans to host the 2019 and 2012 Editions of the Africa Cup of Nations.

 

Last year the FA announced that they make a joint bid with Kenya to host the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations. “I think we are not ready to host a tournament of such a caliber yet,” Mujib Kasule, Fufa’s Vice President in-charge of the League and chairman of the technical committee told Uganda Radio Network on Tuesday night.

 

He said the FA had last September expressed interest to make a joint bid with Kenya to host an Afcon event.

 

“We tried to speak to the government early this year about that idea because their support is very important if a country is to host such a big tournament, but they were  not eager to have it come to Uganda yet,” said Kasule.

 

The FA tried to garner for regional support during the 2012 regional Cecafa Senior Challenge Cup hosted in Kampala and several member countries gave them the go ahead. “We shall wait and try to bid some other time when we are ready and the government is also eager to push this project forward,” added Kasule.

 

Kenya has also expressed interest in bidding to host the Afcon, but the FA went silent on the idea. Ethiopia and Sudan are the only countries in the region that have hosted Africa's biggest football showpiece since it was started.

Keywords