Breaking

Luweero Suspends Mass Hepatitis B Vaccinations over Coronavirus

Godfrey Kuruhiira the Luweero District Chief Administrative Officer says the move is intended to ensure safety of residents and health workers who may contract the virus in the exercise.
24 Mar 2020 16:23
Luweero Hospital is among the facilities where numbers have been pouring for Hepatitis B vaccinations

Audio 3

Luweero District Health officials have suspended mass campaigns for Hepatitis B screening and vaccination over the coronavirus threat.

Last month, Luweero district embarked on mass free screening and vaccination against hepatitis B virus. The exercise is being conducted at Health Center IIIs, IV's and general hospitals across the district. 

Apart from individual walk-ins, each facility has been mobilizing residents a day in a week for mass vaccinations in a move aimed at ensuring wide coverage of the exercise.

However, the Luweero District Health Officer Doctor Innocent Nkonwa says they have resolved to stop all mass vaccinations saying it could put the residents and health workers at risk of coronavirus infections over huge numbers.

Nkonwa says the move is part of Presidential Museveni directive to ensure there are no large groups of people at one facility which may contribute to infections.

Cue in: “For Hepatitis B…

Cue out;….directive “//

Luganda Byte

Cue in: “Hepatitis B Vaccination…

Cue out;…kyetutandiyagadde”//

Godfrey Kuruhiira the Luweero District Chief Administrative Officer says the move is intended to ensure the safety of residents and health workers who may contract the virus in the exercise.

Kuruhiira also directed in charges of health centres to decongest waiting areas through erecting more tents and utilizing other wards designated as corners.

Cue in: “And in going on…

Cue out…for such services”//

Abubaker Ssematimba the LC III Chairman of Kikyusa sub-county says that the directive is justifiable and necessary in awake of coronavirus outbreak in the country.

Livingstone Kategeya a resident of Kamira Sub County says the officials took a wise decision because crowds were not easy to regulate and these could contribute to infections.

On Monday, the Minister of Health Jane Ruth Aceng announced eight new cases of coronavirus bring the total number to nine patients who tested positive.

About 17,156 have died whereas 102,972 out of 392,331 total confirmed coronavirus patients have recovered according to coronavirus resource centre at John Hopkins University.

Images 1

Keywords

Entities