New Land Forces commander, Major General Peter Elwelu, says the International Criminal Court ICC is free to investigate him in relation to the Kasese clashes that left at least 100 people dead.
New Land Forces commander, Major General Peter Elwelu
, has said the International Criminal Court (ICC) is free to investigate him in relation to the Kasese clashes that left at least 100 people dead.
Elwelu, formerly the 2nd Division Commander, was on Tuesday among the 15 officers who got their new pips after being promoted last week. The colourful ceremony took place at the Ministry of Dfence headquarters in Mbuya, Kampala.
While speaking to URN after the function, Elwelu defended his actions as commander of the November 27th raid on the palace of Rwenzururu king, Charles Wesley Mumbere, that also led to the arrest of the king and 150 of his supporters.
Elwelu stated that the people killed in the conflict were not civilians but people with treason and terrorism ideas who were dangerously armed and with intentions to kill.
Mumbere and 161 are still on remand, facing 41 counts of treason, terrorism, murder, attempted murder, robbery and malicious damage to property. This week Mumbere was produced in court again just days after being rearrested at Jinja High Court where he had just secured bail.
Elwelu says he has served Uganda for 30 years and his promotion only means more hard work. He says people should not claim he was promoted because of the role in Kasese saying he has served the country well.
He also believes that if his destiny is meant to end at the ICC so be it, but that Kasese is now calm and people are reconstructing. Elwelu states that so long as there are wrong elements in the community, there should be a measure of restraining them.
He emphasised that they would provide the ICC with evidence that shows that the people killed were not merely civilians.
//Cue in: “Right from the…
Cue out:…become more dangerous.”//
Opposition leaders in Uganda appealed to the ICC to investigate Kasese killings, saying the actions by the army tantamount to crimes against humanity. They referred President Museveni, Peter Elweru, and Assistant Inspector General of Police Asuman Mugenyi to the ICC saying that the three should be investigated for their role in the deaths.
Mark P. Dillion, the head of Information and Evidence Unit at the office of the ICC Prosecutor, said that the complaint has been entered into the communications register and would be given consideration as appropriate, in accordance with the provisions of the Rome Statute.