Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /usr/www/users/urnnet/a/story.php on line 43
Manafwa RDC Lashes Out at FDC Officials :: Uganda Radionetwork
Breaking

Manafwa RDC Lashes Out at FDC Officials

Peter Kusoolo, the Bukalasi Sub County LC 3 chairperson, which was most affected by the mudslides, says the victims are ready to relocate.

Audio 2

Ahamada Washaki, the newly appointed Manafwa Resident District Commissioner has lashed out at the opposition Forum for Democratic Change-FDC for inciting the Bududa mudslide victims to reject government plans to relocate them.

On Sunday last week, a delegation of FDC officials led by the Leader of Opposition in Parliament, Betty Aol Ochan told the mudslide victims in Bukalasi Sub County in Bududa district to reject government plans to relocate them from their area, saying it could a ploy to take over their land.

The FDC President, Patrick Amuriat Oboi told the mudslide survivors to resist plans to relocate them, saying they shouldn't leave their wealth behind. He faulted the government for failing to conserve the mountains and hills in Bududa district exposing the population to landslides.

The opposition remarks have drawn a backlash from Ahamada Washaki, the newly appointed Manafwa Resident District Commissioner. Speaking at the belated Independence Day celebrations at Lwanzusi Primary School in Lwanzusi Sub County on Tuesday, Washaki described the opposition leaders as opportunists who only want to disaster to claim more lives.

//Cue in: “In 2016 when…

Cue out:…people to Bulambuli,”//

Washaki described the opposition leaders as satanic, saying it is bad for any leader to use the plight of the mudslide victims to gain political capital.

//Cue in: “Satanic forces…

Cue out:… they are satanic”//

Peter Kusoolo, the Bukalasi Sub County LC 3 chairperson, which was most affected by the mudslides, says the victims are ready to relocate.

“People are ready to be relocated. As I talk now people are asking when we shall be going,” he said. Adding that, “Members of the opposition are always like that they tell people not move but they don't give an alternative to the people.”

 

While visiting Bududa district shortly after the mudslides, the Disaster Preparedness and Refugees Minister, Hilary Onek, said government would relocate the survivors by the end of this year. 

On October 15th, 2018, cabinet directed Ministry of Finance to release Shillings 32.5 Billion for the relocation of the mudslide victims.

The money is meant for buying building materials and land for 900 households that were hit by the mudslides on October 11th, 2018 claiming more than 50 lives and properties worthy millions of money.