Lucy Lotyang, a mother of seven children who are currently spending cold nights under the tree with her children appealed to the government and well-wishers to avail them with aid to help her to rebuild their house.
33 families in
Nachele village in Nadunget Sub County, Moroto District are seeking assistance
after their homes were destroyed by fire on Saturday.
According to eyewitnesses, a phone battery was charging using a solar panel
that was raised on top of the grass thatched house but in the process, it burst
causing a fire that burnt the house before spreading to others.
Since then, the incident left the victims stranded after the fire burnt all the
household items. Some of the affected persons are now spending cold nights
under the trees.
Lucy Lotyang, a mother of seven children who are currently spending cold nights
under the tree with her children appealed to the government and well-wishers to
avail them with aid to help her to rebuild their house.
According to Lotyang, although no one was injured, all the houses were
completely burnt to ashes and they could not retrieve anything.
//Cue in: ‘’ the battery begin…
Cue out: "...to help us’’.//
Lomongin, another resident says that he lost his national ID and the academic
documents of his school children were also destroyed.
‘’I have lost all the household items, food and money for my small business.
I’m just confused and frustrated because I have nowhere to go’’ Lomongin
Simon Peter Lotem, the LCIII Chairperson for Nadunget sub county says that the
incident happened at a time when the community is grappling with both insecurity
and hunger crisis.
Lotem also noted that almost 90 percent of people in his sub-county use solar
panels and batteries as the main source of energy for lighting and charging.
Lotem urged the government to speed up the distribution program of Iron sheets
saying this could also help to reduce such risks of fire outbreaks.
//Cue in : ‘’I’m very happy…….
Cue out: “….know how to use’’.//
Welthunger, a non-governmental organization distributed household items and
food to support the families as they wait for government contribution.
Regaba, the Area manager at Welthunger says they have donated food and
household items worth 19 million shillings to the affected families.
He advised the victims to guard their food and items with jealousy as they are
still waiting for other well-wishers.