The study conducted by the Sub County Health Team between 1st to 5th of October covering the whole of Lamogi Sub County found out that 80% of the households, 90% of hotels and restaurants were using contaminated water while 100% of the open wells were contaminated by fecal bacteria. The study also revealed that, the latrine coverage in the Sub County had reduced from 80% in the past five years to 62% as of latest study.
52% of water sources in Lamogi Sub County in Amuru have been contaminated by disease-causing bacteria spread by poor sanitation, a recent study has found.
The study conducted by the Sub County Health team between 1st to 5th of October covering the whole of Lamogi Sub County found out that 80% of the households, 90% of hotels and restaurants were using contaminated water while 100% of the open wells were contaminated by the bacteria. The study also revealed that, the latrine coverage in the Sub County had reduced from 80% in the past five years to 62% as of latest study.
The Escherichia coli are bacteria found in the environment, foods, and intestines of people and animals. E. coli are a large and diverse group of bacteria some of which cause sickness. Some kinds of E. coli can cause diarrheas while others cause urinary tract infections, respiratory illness, pneumonia and other illnesses.
Augustine Oundo, the Health Assistant at Olwal Health Centre III in Lamogi Sub County Amuru district says the finding means that there is a high risk of disease outbreak especially Cholera and and Dysentery in the area if the matter is not addressed. He notes that the statistics are at alarming levels due to the improper use of latrines by the community members in the Sub County.
Oundo says that their findings indicate that the major cause of the contamination of the water sources is negligent of (mis)use of water and in some cases, water is contaminated by the utensils used by the members of the community.
According to Oundo several people also defecate in the bushes because they don’t have latrines.
//Cue in: "This findings means
Cue out:.. not safe enough"//.
George Oola, the LCI chairperson of Akwa village, Obbo Parish in Lamogi Sub County says that the rate of contamination of the water sources could have been escalated by the running water due to the heavy rains being experienced in the area.
Geoffrey Oceng Osborn, the Deputy RDC Amuru district says to help curb the rate of water contamination, the district has partnered with AMREF Health Africa, a non-governmental organization working in the district to improve community sanitation in the Sub County.
According to Oceng, almost everybody in the area is drinking water containing feces and they are going to embark on a village-to-village sensitization of the members of the community on the importance of having pro-sanitation facilities including latrines, rubbish pits among others.
//cue in :"The report is
Cue out:...within our households"//.
Nicholas Obonyo, a staff of AMREF says the 18 months project worth over 300, 000 Euros seeks to improve household and community sanitation and health.