The victims who are residents of Bugodo village in Kapyanga Sub County in Bugiri district are reported to have come into contact with power transmission lines from loose electricity poles which had fallen in their garden.
Some of the residents converge at the scene of crime, courtesy photo.
Police in Bugiri district is investigating circumstances under
which an 18-year-old Fahad Mususwa and his mother, Fazira Kagoya aged 53 years
were electrocuted in their garden on Saturday evening.
The victims who are residents of Bugodo village in Kapyanga Sub County in
Bugiri district are reported to have come into contact with power transmission
lines from loose electricity poles which had fallen in their garden.
Kagoya's husband, Zubair Mususwa, says that the two were trapped in the rain
and he only noticed their bodies while attempting to trace for them.
"This area is prone to lightning strikes and after noticing
that, my wife and son had delayed returning home despite the heavy rains, I
went out to collect them from the garden only to see, their bodies lying along
the electric power transmission lines," he says.
Ahamada Tanya, the village chairperson says that eyewitness accounts indicate
that, Kagoya died while attempting to save her son.
"The two farmers who had sought refuge in one of the trees in
the farmland informed us that, Mususwa slid and fell on the loose electric
wires but, when Kagoya tried to pull him up, she also collapsed and passed
away," he says.
Busoga East police spokesperson, James Mubi says that UMEME officials have been
alerted to replace all the dilapidated electric poles throughout the entire
district, which will save members of the public from encountering such
accidents during the rainy season.