Musician Zigy Wyne Death: Five Witnesses Arrested

Five witnesses in the controversial death of local musician Michael Arinda alias Zigy Wine have been arrested and detained at Kira Road police station.
Hope Clinic at Kyebando

Audio 3

Five witnesses in the controversial death of local musician Michael Arinda alias Zigy Wyne have been arrested and detained at Kira Road police station.

A member of the Fire Base music group owned by Kyadondo East MP Robert Sentamu Kyagulanyi alias Bobi Wine, Arinda died in the wee hours of Monday morning at Mulago hospital where he had been admitted with injuries and burns on his body.

Police Spokesperson, Fred Enanga, on Tuesday paraded five witnesses including a woman Loy Atworo, who was allegedly knocked by the deceased before he hit his head on road guards made of concrete.

The witnesses, who are all residents of Kyebando along Northern Bypass insisted that Zigy Wyne knocked Atworo, on July 21, rammed into a trench and was burnt by his motorcycle exhaust pipes.

Atworo, a teacher who spoke to the media at Kampala Central Police Station said she was knocked by the motorcycle after cleaning her classroom at Happy Hammy Academy on a Sunday evening in preparation for next day lessons.

The teacher said she regained consciousness when she was admitted at Christian Community health centre but does not know who took her to the health centre and does not recognize the motorcyclist who knocked her down.

Uganda Radio Network (URN) visited the supposed accident scene where residents informed us that their colleagues who witnessed the accident had been detained at Kira Road police station.

The alleged scene is about 10 metres away from Kyebando flyover and about 12metres to Hope Clinic where Zigy Wyne and Atworo were allegedly rushed for treatment before they were transferred to Mulago hospital and Christianity Community health centre respectively.

A nurse at Hope Clinic, Godwin Akunguzibwe, said his colleague, Simon Kule Aheebwa, who attended to Zigy Wine and Atworo had been taken by police early in the morning and was not sure whether he would be returned.

Grace Nasozzi, also a teacher at Happy Hammy Academy, confirmed that on July 21st, her colleague Atworo was indeed involved in a motorcycle accident. Nasozzi said her colleague had been taken by police.

Nasozzi explained that they don’t teach on Sunday but they usually clean classrooms on Sunday evening in preparation for Monday classes. She said her colleague was knocked as she crossed the Northern Bypass Road but she was rushed to Hope Clinic by people who knew her in the area.

Good Samaritans later called Atworo’s employer who was attending an introduction ceremony in Luweero district.

//cue in “Atworo Loy kale yali aze…

Cue out…kumpi ko awo newe bamukonera”//

Edward Kaweesa, also a resident of the area said he was informed about the accident at around 8pm. He even saw the victim’s motorcycle that had been parked at Kyebando Police Post.

//cue in “kubanga bilabika…

Cue out…police yasigaza piki”//

Kaweesa added that he even saw, Brian Musobozi, who picked the motorcycle registration number plate and helmet. Kyebando police reportedly picked the motorcycle some minutes later but did not bother to establish where the victims had been taken.

When URN visited the Kyabando Police Post on Wednesday, the officers didnot want to speak about the matter. One officer in casual clothes said the OC was not available but added that they have been instructed not to speak.

Robert Waiguru, alias Inspector also a Music Producer at Fire Base, said for the five years he knew Zigy Wine, he had never seen him with a motorcycle bearing the number plate that was exhibited by police on Tuesday.

//Cue in “Digi nze gyemanyi…

Cue out…kukizimbe kino ekya Ssemakokkiro”//

Inspector described Zigy Wine as a person who was always calm and never talked to strangers a reason he was only known by a few people in Kamwokya.

Efforts to speak to police spokesperson, Fred Enanga, were futile as he did not pick nor return calls. However, one of the witnesses who spoke hastily to URN on phone said they had been transferred to police headquarters at Naguru and preparations were underway to shift them to CID headquarters at Kibuli.