In a statement issued this morning, the Senior Health Ministry Publicist, Emmanuel Ainebyoona, says no single COVID-19 case has been registered in the country. He also clarifies that the Health Ministry surveillance teams received an alert from Royal Complex on Friday of a lady suspected to have COVID-19 infection.
A man wearing a T-Shirt with a writing cautioning about the novel (new) coronavirus — designated COVID-19
There is no confirmed Corona
case in Uganda, the Health Ministry has revealed. This stems from information
that circulated on social media on Friday indicating that there was a suspected Corona patient from downtown,
The Facebook post
claimed that an Indian national staying at one
of the buildings next to Majestic Plaza had collapsed and was presenting with signs
of the Virus. Makerere University School
of Health Science responded to the alert by dispatching a team of experts from
the Infectious Disease Institute-IDI.
statement issued this morning, the Senior Health Ministry Publicist, Emmanuel
Ainebyoona, says no single COVID-19 case has been registered in the country.
He also clarifies that the Health Ministry surveillance teams received an
alert from Royal Complex on Friday of a lady suspected to have COVID-19
explains that their teams responded to the alert using a vehicle and ambulance
belonging to Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) to approach the said premises.
“Upon reaching the said room, a lady occupant revealed that she was undergoing
self-quarantine as any other person who has just returned from the flagged high
risk countries with the COVID-19 pandemic,” Ainebyoona says.
that, “The team's assessment found out this lady had no signs and symptoms but
recommended she completes her period of self-quarantine. They will continue
monitoring her until when she gets a certificate of completing
has since reiterated that it didn't evacuate any suspected patient from
The Ministry has urged the public that while they should
remain vigilant and calm, they should equally refrain from
spreading false rumors. The
ministry has issued two toll-free lines 0800100066 or 0800-203-033 for the
public to report in case of an alert. COVID – 19 that was first reported
in China on December 31, 2019 has so far spread to over 100 countries globally.
has infected more than 120,000 people and claimed 4000 others prompting WHO to
declare it a global pandemic.