Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /usr/www/users/urnnet/a/story.php on line 43
One-Year-Old Girl Electrocuted in Luwero :: Uganda Radionetwork
Breaking

One-Year-Old Girl Electrocuted in Luwero

The incident occurred at approximately 10:00 a.m. when Kevira was playing near a grasshopper collection point. She accidentally touched a live electrical wire and was electrocuted.
18 Jun 2024 07:24

Audio 1

A girl aged one year and eight months has been electrocuted in Kalongo-miti zone, Luwero town council, Luwero district. The victim has been identified as Kevira Nampijja.

The incident occurred at approximately 10:00 a.m. when Kevira was playing near a grasshopper collection point. She accidentally touched a live electrical wire and was electrocuted. Kevira had been staying with her grandmother, Namayanja Robinah, whose home is near the grasshopper collection site.

Nakalema Eva, the deputy chairperson of Kalongo-miti zone, explained that the grasshopper harvesting site had an exposed live wire that was improperly installed. The site was built by a man identified only as Sam on land rented from Wasswa Richard. Nakalema emphasized that this tragedy could have been avoided with basic safety precautions.

Nakalema urged the community to be vigilant and report any safety hazards immediately. 

Luganda Audio 

//Cue in: "Munnange baatureportingidde nti... 

Cue out: ...masannyalaze ne gamukuba"//.

Sam Twiineamazima, the Savannah Regional Police spokesperson, confirmed the incident. He stated that police have launched an investigation, with officials from Kasana Police Station, including crime scene investigators and detectives, gathering witness testimonies and examining the scene. Dr. Saffi, a pathologist at Luwero Hospital, conducted an on-site examination of Kevira's body, confirming that she died from electrocution.

The incident has put Umeme, the electricity distribution company in the area, under scrutiny. Twiineamazima highlighted that the preliminary findings indicate gross negligence by both Umeme officials, who connected electricity directly from neighboring poles, and the grasshopper harvester responsible for the site.

The police are continuing their investigation and are working to track down the suspects. They emphasized the importance of prioritizing safety to prevent such tragic accidents in the future. The improperly connected live wire, which caused Kevira's death, raises serious concerns about the company's safety practices and oversight. 

Support us


Keywords

Entities