Fort Portal has blocked a planned demonstration by a group of Tooro youth against a resolution
backing President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni as NRM’s sole presidential candidate in forth coming elections.
On May 9, leaders in the Tooro sub-region met Museveni at
Kalya Courts in Fort Portal. and they unanimously backed him as NRM’s sole
presidential candidate in 2021 polls.
However, this did not go down well with some of the youth in
the sub-region. They on May 13 wrote to the Inspector General of Police - IGP,
Martin Okoth Ochola, requesting for security clearance to hold a peaceful demonstration against
the resolution in Fort Portal town.
Thomas Kakuru, one of the mobilizers of the demonstration, said they were about
100 in number and had planned to hold the demonstration on Monday, May 20.
However, these did not get any response to the letter. By
the time they tried to storm the streets, Police had already deployed and they
were warned that if they attempted to demonstrate, they would all be arrested.
According to the Kabarole District Police Commander - DPC,
Jamal Kanyesigye, they blocked the demonstration because they hadn’t been
informed about it and deemed it illegal.
Kakuru said that even though they wrote to IGP Ochola, they didn’t
get any response, and they are now giving police up to Thursday to respond to
their request of they proceed to court for legal redress.