Breaking

Police Warn Public on Solar Power Misuse

Police is concerned that many people resorting to use of solar energy are not aware of how dangerous it can be. The concern was expressed through the Directorate of Fire Prevention and Rescue Services in the Uganda Police Force.
Williams Primary School suffered a devastating fire attributed to poor wiring

Audio 2

Police is concerned that many people resorting to use of solar energy are not aware of how dangerous it can be.

 

The concern was expressed through the Directorate of Fire Prevention and Rescue Services in the Uganda Police Force.

 

The Greater Masaka Officer in Charge of Police Fire Department Clyde Bernard Ssembusi says many new users of solar energy are ignorant of its power.

 

Ssembusi says a police sensitivity campaign has discovered that many people believe solar energy cannot generate as much voltage as thermal power.

 

He says this belief persists even when they are using solar power for appliances from electric bulbs to heavier equipment.

 

//Cue in (Lug); abantu…

Cue out:…mwokerere//.

 

He adds that apart from the many fake solar kits infiltrating the local market; many people are either using semi-skilled technicians or poor wires to fix the power, which makes the whole system prune to combustion.

 

The revelation comes in the aftermath of a mystery fire that gutted a boys’ dormitory structure at Williams’ high Primary school in Mukungwe Sub County in Masaka district.

 

Ssembuusi says that although many speculations had attributed the incident to arsonists who are envious of the school; Police investigations established that the school had a poor wiring of the solar power system, with sagging connectors which suddenly caused the fire rising from power sparks.

 

 //Cue in (Lug): Ku Williams’ high…

 

Cue out:…mu ssomero//.

 

In an interview with URN, Ssembuusi has warned the public against using substandard equipment to fix these improvised power systems and advise them to apply the same maximum care they use while handling the Hydro-electric power.

 

He has also urged the users to put emphasis on the quality of the equipment they buy as well as hiring qualified personnel to install these systems.

 

A few solar energy users URN spoke to were skeptical that solar power can actually cause combustion.

 

Joan Nanyanzi, a salon attendant who uses solar power, said that she thought solar energy was completely safe. 

 

She argues that solar power has lesser voltage compared to hydro-power, and can hardly cause burning.