The two officials are accused of extorting money from residents of Bukinda in Kyangwali Sub County Kikuube district promising to allocate them huge chunks of land that is part of Kyangwali refugee settlement.
The Principal Settlement Officer in the Office of the Prime Minister, Charles Bafaki and Flavia Nabwire, the Assistant Chief Administrative officer Kikuube have been accused for alleged extortion.
The two officials are accused of extorting money from residents of Bukinda in Kyangwali Sub County Kikuube district promising to allocate them huge chunks of land in Kyangwali refugee settlement.
The residents after waiting in vain to be allocated their land, for which they paid money, stormed the office of the Hoima Resident District Commissioner, Samuel Kisembo accusing the two officers for allegedly conning them of their money.
The over 200 residents including men and women on Monday pitched camp at Kisembo's office demanding for his intervention.
According to the residents, Bafaki, Nabwiire and other government officials including UPDF officers have since last week pitched camp in Bukinda extorting money from the residents.
Nestore Tumwesigye who led the residents to the RDC's office noted that residents are being charged 200,000 shillings to 1 Million Shillings.
He explains that Bafaki threatened to evict them from their land should they fail to give him money.
//Cue in: ”Gafumenti Ekagamba ekwenda…
//cue out…Nambere era Kusanga.”//.
Lusiano Mbusa, a resident of Bukinda says he paid 100, 000 shillings to Bafaki two weeks ago but up to date he has never been allocated land. He alleges that Bafaki who is being guarded by the UPDF has tortured several residents who have opposed paying him money.
//Cue in: ”Hati Bafaki ateiroho…
//cue out…Bazitwalire nanka bafaki.”//.
When tasked by the Hoima RDC Samuel Kisembo to respond to the residents' claims, Bafaki refuted the allegations and accused the residents of tarnishing his image.
//Cue in: ”There is no…
//cue out: ”Facts are there.”//.
However, Kisembo says a team of the district security committee will visit Bukinda to investigate the claims.
//Cue in: ”Busaho Omuntu ali…
//Cue out:…Namani ge nsongaenu.”//.
This is not the first time Bafaki is being accused of extortion, torture and unlawful evictions in Bukinda.
Last year, Bafaki was grilled by the Chairperson of the Commission of Inquiry into land matters Justice Catherine Bamugemereire on allegations of illegally causing forceful and brutal eviction of over 2,000 people.
The commission heard that in 2013, Bafaki with other government officials including the army and police invaded Kasongo Parish in Kyangwali sub-county Hoima district and ordered all the people who were settling in the 28 villages to vacate within three hours.