Alex Daniel Okema, a senior three student of Teso College Aloet has been electrocuted. Okema met his death on Friday while climbing down from the roof of Obwangor House where he had gone to remove a ball that was stuck there. Sylvester Ocaatum, the head teacher Teso College Aloet says the incident occured between 7:30am and 8:00am when the students were playing football infront of Obwangor House. He says that shortly after the incident Okema was rushed to Joint Clinic but doctors there pronounced him dead on arrival.
//Cue in: “ So they were …
Cue out: … Electric shock.”//
Okema’s body is still lying at Soroti Regional Referral Hospital mortuary awaiting for his parents to pick it up. Walter Odongo, an eye witness says that they had a loud bang on the roof and saw water flowing. He says that one of the students identified as Gerald Oduba climbed on the roof to see what was happening only to find their friend lying unconscious. Odongo says that they brought down Okema and took him to the dormitory before they alerted the school administration.
//Cue in: “ Accidently one student …
Cue out: … school van.”//
Patrick Owana Komakech, the head prefect told Uganda Radio Network that he has been receiving several complaints from students about the electric shocks.
//Cue in: “I am by …
Cue out: … to rectify.”//
By Saturday morning when URN visited the school, the students were still traumatized. Juma Hassan Nyene, the East Kyoga public relations officer says that, the electricity wires could have been exposed because most of the school buildings are so dilapidated. Simon Peter Odwar, the DEO Kaabong says that Okema has been under his care as he lost all his parents.