Breaking

Two Children Die of Asphyxiation in Jinja

The police personnel forced open the door, only to realize that the grandmother, Alitubela was lying unconscious while the two children were already dead.


Police in Jinja city has retrieved the dead bodies of two children from Kyamagwa cell in Northern division, Jinja city who are suspected to have suffocated to death on Thursday morning. 

The deceased are four year old Hailat Nakiyemba and Rahmat Namugumya aged 14 years. 

It is reported that, the victims who were sharing the same house with their grandmother, Afuwa Alitubera locked themselves inside while smoking meat however, neighbors noticed that, their door was still locked by 9:30am, prompting them to alert police officers about the abnormality. 

The police personnel forced open the door, only to realize that, Alitubela was lying unconscious while the two children were already dead. 

Alitubela is currently admitted at Almeca hospital where she is receiving medical attention.

Juma Musonge, a resident within the area says that Alitubela is a renown Muslim believer and they were perturbed by why she had delayed to wake up early on Eid day.

“Alitubela always treats us to free lunch during Eid celebrations annually, soon noticing that that her door was still closed on a special day like this, most of us began to suspect that there might be a problem with her,” he says. 

Fatumah Nabirye, a family member says that she last spoke to her mother at around 4:30am, and was shocked to receive information about the death of two children in her house. 

“I had called my mother after the early morning prayers and she indeed assured me that, all was well however, at around 10:00am, one of her neighbors informed me of this bad news,” she says.

Abbey Ngako, the Kiira region police spokesperson, confirms the incident adding that the deceased have been taken to Jinja regional referral hospital mortuary awaiting postmortem.

He adds that detectives have since inspected the scene and available leads indicate that, the children suffocated to death after inhaling excessive smoke in a poorly ventilated house.  

ends        

Entities

Keywords