Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /usr/www/users/urnnet/a/story.php on line 43
Two Electrocuted, Another Seriously injured :: Uganda Radionetwork
Breaking

Two Electrocuted, Another Seriously injured

Mbabazi is admitted at Kiwoko Hospital in critical condition.
The Ruins of Teddy Nalunkuma\'s Shop that was burnt following a short circuit

Audio 2


Deprecated: trim(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($string) of type string is deprecated in /usr/www/users/urnnet/a/story.php on line 663
Two people were electrocuted on Sunday and another seriously injured in Nakaseke district after a high voltage cable fell down. The dead are Abbas Ssenabulya, a primary six pupil of Wakayamba primary School and Miriam Nakibirango, a resident of Wakayamba village in Kikamulo Sub County while the injured is Sylvia Mbabazi, a senior two student at Trinity College Wakayamba.

 

 Mbabazi is admitted at Kiwoko Hospital in critical condition. The electricity also destroyed goods and properties worth 10 million shillings at Teddy Nalunkuma’s shop and two homes. Joseph Kaweesi, a survivor says that it all started after   high voltage three phase power-line collapsed and hit a power cable that supplies electricity to resident’s home. He says that the cables started sparking and a triggered off fire which gutted several homes. Kaweesi explains that Nakibirango tried to switch off the electricity and got electrocuted in the process.

He says that he tried to rescue Nakibirango but narrowly survived being electrocuted. Ronald Lukiko, another resident says that Abbas Ssenabulya was electrocuted while trying to switch off a TV set following the electricity shock.

 

// Cue in: “all houses here………

     Cue out…nothing to do.’’//

A team of UMEME technicians and police rushed to the village later to disconnect the power and record statements from residents. Steven Kizza, a resident of the area blames the incidence on negligence by UMEME staff saying that they have been complaining about the poor wiring but nothing was done.

 

// Cue in:``shops have been…

  Cue out:……courts of law.’’//

Teddy Nalunkuma, a businesswoman says that she lost all her merchandise and gadgets like refrigerators. Nalunkuma wants UMEME to compensate for the loss because she has no other source of income. UMEME officials, who declined to be named because they are not authorized to speak to the media, blamed the damage on the failure of the circuit breakers.

Edward Kyaligonza, the Nakaseke District Police Commander says that they have started investigating the incident to establish how the deceased were electrocuted.

Support us


Images 2

Keywords