Breaking

UNEB Yet To Summon Schools With Withheld Results

Mathew Bukenya, the UNEB Executive Secretary says the board is in the process of writing to the affected schools and candidates.
Uganda National Examinations Board is yet to summon Primary seven and senior four candidates whose results were withheld over suspicion of exam malpractice, URN has learnt. A total of 1344 PLE and 1673 UCE candidates were affected.

Ideally, the candidates were supposed to appear before the UNEB security committee before the senior one selection. However, the board delayed to summon the affected parties. Senior one students and their senior four counterparts are expected to report to school on Monday next week, 23rd February 2015 respectively.

Mathew Bukenya, the UNEB Executive Secretary says the board is in the process of writing to the affected schools and candidates. He says the exercise is expected to start next week, though he didn\'t give a specific date. 

Bukenya says the board will start with the PLE candidates and move to senior four candidates later. He says class teachers, subject teachers, head teachers and candidates will be asked to come and testify and defend their results.

Bukenya says the exercise will last for about one week, in which the board expects to sort out all the issues. He says students who are cleared will be assisted by the board to join the school of their choice if they get the required aggregates adding that, those that do not meet the required grades will be helped to join other schools. On why the board delayed to either clear or cancel the results of the candidates who were deemed to have cheated in time to allow those that qualify to be selected, Bukenya said the pressure to release the UCE results forced them to delay the process.

He says now the board will concentrate on the investigations to ensure that all the affected get fair hearing in time so that those who are cleared can join senior one and those whose results are cancelled can be allowed to repeat. 

UNEB has been on the spot for some time for withholding results of candidates for more than a year. Pupils of St Mary's Primary School in Myanja, Kakuto sub-county in Masaka who sat in 2013 had their result withheld for over a year without any communication from UNEN.

By the end of last year, they were still waiting for UNEB to communicate to them.

Keywords